27 May 2022 (Friday) - Another Late Shift

As I scoffed my toast and peered into the Internet I found myself wondering if today was “post a motivational twee meme day”. “There is no need to have it all – just make the most of what you have”. “Silence your inner critic”. “Today is your day”. I am told that some people really do find this twaddle inspiring and helpful. I’ll just make the observation that (in my experience) those who advocate making lemonade when life gives you lemons have rarely (if ever) been given a lemon by life.

I saw an ex-cub scout had a birthday today. He was twenty-six… Twenty-six!!! Where do the years go? I remember him (and his little sister); in my mind they are both ten years old.

 

I took the dogs down to the woods where we had a good walk, probably helped by not seeing anyone else at all. That doesn’t do much for sociaisation, but it does wonders for my nerves. As we walked I watched the dynamics of the dogs. More and more Morgan is trying to join in with what the bigger dogs are doing. Bailey tries to follow, but she is rather small.

As we drove home the paralympic swimmer Ellie Simmonds was on Desert Island Discs. She was saying that her choices of music weren’t ones she actually liked very much, but found inspiring… I found them frankly dire.

I was reminded of twee memes.

 

Having avoided all mud, swamps and mire we came home clean, and didn’t need any baths. I did another negative COVID test, then sat on the sofa with four sleeping dogs as I prepared “Hannah” for tomorrow, and then watched an episode of “Orange is the New Black” before sneaking off to work.

 

I thought I'd get some lunch... In retrospect I should have  just gone hungry. The co-op car park was rammed, and having discovered it was rammed I wasted ten minutes trying to get out.

As I was driving past I thought I might try Waitrose... I wasn't spending four quid on a a frankly scabby-looking sarnie so I gave up, and as I walked out so all the hoity-toity made no secret that they were looking down on me.

I then had this idea about going to the bakery in Lenham...

Once I'd negotiated the mile-long (at least) queue caused by the traffic lights I then found myself behind a funeral cortege for another mile. I eventually got to Lenham where the bakery told me they didn't do sandwiches (in a f... off fatso tone of voice). By now time was running out so I went into the village shop where the chap behind the counter was having a great time pretending he was unable to understand anything said to him by any of the customers.

I really should have stuck with Sainsburys.

 

And so to work where the day got better as it went on. But (it has to be said) I've had better days. Ones when Morgan didn’t piddle on the sofa…

No comments:

Post a Comment