26 May 2022 (Thursday) - Late Shift

I had a bit of a lie-in, but the puppies woke me at half past seven; both wanting to come up on to the bed. I took that as my cue to get up. Finding the knob on the toaster I dialled it down somewhat and had toast (rather than charcoal) for brekkie. There was a minor hiatus as I clouted my head on the extractor fan thingy… I never liked the look of it, but “er indoors TM wanted it and I just agreed to it like I agreed to everything about the new kitchen. Looking back I think that this acquiescence in all things kitchen was probably a big mistake.

 

Morgan charged about the living room with “er indoors TM ‘s crochet as I scoffed toast and peered into the Internet. It would seem I hadn’t missed much overnight. Mind you there was a photos in one of the Sussex groups I follow. A chap named “John Walker had gone missing. Looking at the photo he looked rather like a “Johnnie Walker” with whom I went to school fifty years ago. We shared a birthday, and he kept pet mice. Was it him? Three of us at primary school shared a birthday… I’ve not seen Les for years either.

 

I checked the weather forecast… despite it telling me “rain coming”, the hourly breakdown of the day gave only a one per cent chance of rain all morning, with the highest probability of rain being seven per cent at nine o’clock this evening.

I took a chance, and took all four dogs down to the woods where we had a reasonable walk. Bailey would whimper and whinge all the time she wasn’t actively taking part in a rough-and-tumble or a chase game. As we walked we met one other dog – the huge fluffy pup we meet from time to time. Both Pogo and Bailey barked at him, and he took no notice. The only problem we had was right at the end of the walk when both Bailey and Morgan refused to come to be loaded into the car. They’d been as good as gold up till then – did they want to carry on walking?

 

And so home. I spent ten minutes loading all the crap from the front garden into the car for another tip run. Mostly cardboard and wood, but there were also six carrier bags of assorted rubbish. Much as I like my (relatively) new car, it doesn’t have the carrying capacity that previous cars have had.

And with car loaded I ran round the living room with the Hoover. You’d be amazed how much mess is generated by small dogs chewing on that which is supposed to be in the car and going to the tip.

 

And talking of the tip, with the dogs settled, that’s where I went. There was a minor fracas kicking off when I got there. Have you ever been to the tip? The trick is that when you get there you immediately chuck some cardboard into the cardboard skip, and some planks into the wood skip. This gives the staff the impression that you know what you are doing and they leave you alone. The staff were having a squabble with some chap who was dumping absolutely everything into the general household and was shouting at the tip operatives that it all come out of his household, so that was where it went, be it wood, electrical, metal or whatever.

I unloaded my rubbish and got away as quickly as I could.

 

Pausing briefly to get some petrol I went in to a frankly horrendous late shift, and when it was over I found the (so-called) motorway had a thirty miles per hour speed limit.

And then Morgan crapped on the carpet again…

No comments:

Post a Comment