20 May 2022 (Friday) - Diversity Day

I woke in a cold sweat at three o'clock, and with little choice I braved going downstairs to the loo. Moving "as silently as a carrot" (as I have heard it described) I got to the loo and back without waking the puppies, and reprised this feat three hours later when going for a shave. However the noise of my shaving woke the babies, and I took them outside for a successful morning's "emptying".

Usually I try not to wake “er indoors TM and the bigger dogs when I get dressed, but the babies have figured out how to get up the stairs as quick as lightening. And once they've reached the bedroom both Treacle and Pogo growl their disapproval.  Leaving “er indoors TM in "dog central" I started the epic walk to wherever it was that I'd left my car yesterday.

 

Again with no functional kitchen I needed to buy a sandwich; I thought I'd try the co-op this morning. There were two members of staff there today; both radiating their utter disinterest. I spent far more with them than I have done recently in the works M&S.

And so up the motorway. As I drove there was a lot of talk on the radio about various festivals taking place across the country. There was talk at work yesterday about sci-fi conventions. Both of these sorts of events sadly seem to have gone the same way. What used to be great fun events at which you turned up and joined in are now staged entertainment for which you pay a frankly ridiculous admission fee months in advance. Tickets to comic con are over thirty quid for a day. The old LAT-con events (at the University of London) were free - just turn up and join in.  The woman being interviewed was talking about the "economics of the festival market" and in that phrase she summed up where the whole thing has gone wrong.

There was also talk about how the Prime Minister is re-organising the staffing of 10 Downing Street. Ostensibly to increase efficiency, the sensible money thinks he is looking for a scapegoat for the "Partygate" affair. The pundits on the radio this morning made the observation that Boris Johnson has four times more people employed in 10 Downing Street than Margaret Thatcher had.

 

Eventually getting past the idiot driving at twenty miles per hour in a fifty miles per hour zone (!) I got to work for the early shift. Last Friday I whinged that I’d missed the diversity day and all the food that went with it; diversity day was today. And there was quite a bit of diverse food to be had as well.

Am I being undiverse in saying that I stuck to the pork scratchings, sausage rolls and Victoria sponge and judged those who didn’t like pork scratchings?

 

The training went on a little longer than I would have liked; I was half an hour late getting out. I came home, and in a fit of foolish bravado took all four dogs down to Orlestone Woods. My first walk on my own with all four off the leads went rather well really. Treacle and Pogo are old hands at being off the lead. Morgan followed Treacle and Pogo, and Bailey followed Morgan.

 

With walk walked we came home for a wash. Some of us had picked up more mud than others. The nice kitchen man is getting ever closer to completion and worked rather late this evening. But by the time he was done it was too late to mess about cooking so (once we’d moved stuff out of the way of the telly) “er indoors TM went to the fish and chip shop to get something to scoff whilst watching last week’s episode of “Lego Masters: USA”.

It was rather good… 

No comments:

Post a Comment