26 April 2021 (Monday) - Early Shift

I woke rather earlier than I might have done, got up and made some brekkie. Just as I was about to scoff it so Sid asked to go out. I took him out where he slowly bumbled round the garden before taking an age to do a gallon of tiddle. We came in; Sid tried to climb the dog ladder onto the sofa, and the physical exertion was too much and he sharted all over the carpet. Oh how I chuckled as I cleared up.

Eventually I sat down to cold toast and cold coffee whilst watching an episode of “Superstore”.

 

Having obtained another negative COVID test I then had a look at the Internet as I do most mornings. You would think that instantaneous communication would be such a boon to humanity, but all it does is allow us to squabble with people that not only have we never met, but also never will meet. No matter what the subject – Hastings Old Town, building daleks, collecting Lego… there is always an argument to be had.

 

As I got dressed so I fussed the sleeping dogs. And as I fussed sleeping Pogo I felt something odd. He didn't complain as I pulled a thorn out of his shoulder. It must have been there since yesterday's walk (if not before). Treacle has had thorns before - the dogs don't seem to notice them.

 

I set off work-wards up a now open motorway. It made such a difference not to be crawling at a snail's pace. As I drove the pundits on the radio were broadcasting from the aircraft carrier HMS Queen Elizabeth. Have you ever seen that ship? - It is *huge*! Apparently the ship is being deployed to the South China Sea to put the wind up some Johnny Foreigner or other.

The Russian government have supposedly commented that they aren't frightened  and see the thing as one big target. Which (I suppose) it is.  There were experts being interviewed who were saying that the days of aircraft carriers have long gone what with much of the military air power being unmanned drones, and that the UK government should sell off the aircraft carriers and buy something more practical. I can't help but wonder if (as they say) the days of aircraft carriers have long gone, who will be dumb enough to buy them. Still, I can remember the Russians selling a nuclear submarine on eBay.

There was also talk of various people (including the Archbishop of Canterbury) demanding a public inquiry into the government's handling of the COVID pandemic.

Will there be one? Probably. Will it achieve much? I doubt it. mistakes were made, but am I being cynical when I wonder when has any politician ever learned anything.

 

I got to work, found I'd left my wallet at home and spent much of the day feeling rather concerned that I didn't have it with me. But on the flip side there was cake at tea-time.

 

An early start made for an early finish. I came home down an open motorway, and once home leaded up the dogs and took them down to Orlestone Woods. We arrived to see a dozen cars in the car park, but we walked our usual circuit of the woods and didn’t see a soul. Orelstone Woods are lovely – the bluebells are in full flower, the mud has dried up, the normal people (usually)  don’t lurk there.

er indoors TM” boiled up a very good bit of dinner, and with it scoffed both Treacle and Pogo snuggled up to me on the sofa, and we all slept the evening away. Fast asleep when I’d rather be awake, and I expect I will be awake far too early tomorrow morning – I  wish I didn’t do that…

No comments:

Post a Comment