13 April 2021 (Tuesday) - Rostered Day Off

I slept like a log, and as an added bonus Sid hadn’t done a single turd overnight. Seeing that as something of a result I made toast, and had a little look at the Internet. I rather thought there would have been all sorts of things posted on-line overnight seeing how the lockdown restrictions had a serious easing yesterday, but there wasn’t. B&Q had sent me an email telling me that their stores were open, but the local branch of B&Q has been open all through the latest lockdown. (Why bother sending that email?) In fact pretty much the most interesting thing I read this morning on the Internet was the fact that today was the one hundredth birthday of the actor who provided the voice of Jeff Tracy (from “Thunderbirds”) and that the chap had been born in the same town that I was born in.

It was then that er indoors TM” discovered the turds that Sid had actually done.

 

I then spent a morning farting around in the garden. In readiness for the first phase of decorating (planned for this weekend) I needed to get the lock-ups moved out of the back yard so that we can put up ladders. I got all the stuff out of one, shoved it up onto the patio area by the shed, filled it again, and then did the same with the other. That was hard work. And then since I had the area clear I got the pressure washer out and scrubbed the yard. That too was hard work, but it looks better for the scrub.

And then I thought I might put the sleepers into place. Regular readers of this drivel may recall when  I sawed two sleepers to size on March 30th. Today I found that I was a tad awry with my measurements. Oh, how I chuckled as I sawed another half-inch off of each sleeper. Oh well… it only took twenty minutes. For each sleeper.

 

As I fiddled about so Fudge was laying in the sunshine but was very restless. He couldn’t get comfortable, and had been sick (again).  At mid-day he had an appointment with the vet.

We were a little late getting in; they were busy. He’s lost another half a kilogram, and the vet said he was dehydrated and that he needed a day or two in dog hospital on fluids. He looked rather miserable as I left him.

 

As I was in the area I popped over to B&Q to get gravel boards that can be used for walking about on the new roof this weekend before being used for fixing knackered fences. Having walked the length of the place from garden section to building yard and back again I eventually found what I thought was the right thing. It was only as I was putting them into my car that I saw that rather than having a pack of four decent boards I had a pack of eight triangular flimsy things.

I took them back, and as I was standing in the returns queue so some chap in a wheelchair started having a go at me for absolutely no reason that I could fathom. Some people just go through life looking for arguments.

Having returned the wrong boards I drove round to AVS fencing (who I discovered on Saturday) who came up trumps.

I then pootled in the garden for an hour or so to try to take my mind off of my dog, and then spent a little while putting a few bells and whistles into my latest Wherigo project before going to the vet to collect Fudge.

 

The vet was really patient with us, She showed us the results of his blood tests which show he’s dehydrated, he’s got pancreatitis and his kidneys aren’t coping at all. He’s got to go back to dog hospital tomorrow (and possibly Thursday) for another day on fluids which will hopefully shift the waste products that his kidneys aren’t shifting at the moment, and with some semblance of normality resumed he’ll be back to what passes for normal for him in a few days.

Trouble is normal for him is chronic kidney failure for which there is no cure. Just postponing the inevitable. The fluids he’s on is effectively doing pretty much the same job as a dialysis machine (i.e. doing the job of a kidney), and it’s not really a long-term practicality. Being on fluids is quite an undertaking, it is traumatic for him and has to be done in dog hospital and he needs to be tranquilized for the day – he’s currently sitting next to me absolutely zoned out.

He’s sick most mornings. He’s losing weight at quite a rate. We’ll get him through this current acute bout but I don’t want him to suffer…and he has been suffering these last few days.
This is why I never wanted a dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment