24 April 2021 (Saturday) - Late Shift

I came downstairs to find no turds, but as Sid saw me so he got up. As he waddled to the door so the turds dropped out. I sighed… He don’t poop deliberately. He really can’t help it. But it is a pain.
I cleared up, made brekkie and had a look-see at the internet. It was much the same as ever; petty squabbles over trivia. I was rather amused to see I have been thrown out of a Sparks-based Facebook group. Yesterday someone was posting how they have got the all-clear from cancer. Someone else posted thanks to God for the news. I asked how that worked – couldn’t God have had them avoid all the heartache in the first place? I’m reminded of my old mucker (from my days when I was religious) who found fifty pence in the street and gave a prayer of thanks, and then shortly after trod in a dog turd which was just “one of those things”. I *really* don’t understand how the righteous can thank their God for every good thing that happens whilst making excuses for their God for everything else.

I had an interesting email. The nice people at Credit Karma told me that Marshmallow Financial Services have carried out an insurance risk assessment search on me. I wonder who Marshmallow Financial Services are, and why they are interested in me?

 

I then set about the monthly accounts. They were pretty much as I expected they would be; not too bad if you gloss over a two thousand pounds vet bill that needs settling. It was a shame that I seem to have paid for my web space twice… I shall have to chase that up.

 

My brother arrived to finish off painting the back of the house. He made a start, and within minutes Pogo was walking round with blue elbows having rubbed up against wet paint, and Treacle had a blue tail.

He got done far faster than he had expected. I helped him load up his bits and bobs, then got myself a sandwich from the corner shop and set off to work. Bearing in mind I'd seen endless notices about the motorway being closed for the removal of the "Operation Brock" barriers, I'd left home early and I drove up the A20. As I crossed the bridge over the motorway I wasn't impressed to see loads of traffic going in both directions.

 

I got to work a little early, and scoffed a sandwich whilst reading my Kindle app before tackling the late shift. For some reason I wasn't feeling it today. I had swapped in to this shift, and I was wondering if I'd done the right thing. But helping people out is always a good thing, if only to make others more inclined to help me back in return when I want to swap. 

With work done I headed home. I got as far as junction seven of the motorway where there were signs saying the motorway was closed, and cones leading all the traffic up the slip road. Fortunately I know the way home from junction seven, but anyone who didn’t would have been stuffed. Jut like on Thursday night I found a road closure with no signposted diversion. This seems to be a “thing” with Kent Highways at the moment…

No comments:

Post a Comment