29 December 2017 (Friday) - Intruders ?

A sound woke me in the small hours. Footsteps. Someone was walking round the house. I reached over and found that "er indoors TM" was fast asleep and one of the dogs was snoring on top of her. So why weren't both dogs seeing off the intruder? Perhaps they were ill? But I was on the early shift... "er indoors TM" would have to make an appointment with the vet..
After a couple of minutes I realised that I was worrying about imaginary illnesses in the hounds when there was someone walking about the house at three o'clock in the morning. And then I heard a creaking noise. The bedroom door was being pushed open. I leapt up to give any burglar a scare and tripped over Fudge who'd just walked in. It had been him wandering round the house.
Oh how I laughed (once the coughing fit had subsided).
I then lay in bed for an hour coughing before eventually nodding off again.

Over brekkie I watched an episode of "Dad's Army" which the SkyPlus box had recorded for me. I must get into the thing's works and stop it doing that. Much as the show passes half an hour, I've seen the episodes so many times that I actually know the scripts almost off by heart, and I find myself saying what the characters are about to say before they say it.
I had a very quick look at the Internet. Apparently NASA are considering doing what they should be doing eventually; actually going to have a look-see at another star. They are hoping to launch a robotic probe to Alpha Centauri in fifty years time.
Bearing in mind it will take at least fifty more years to get there, I won't be around for its arrival. A shame; I'd like to see that. Mind you I'd also like to see manned missions to Mars, and realistically I won't live long enough to see those either.

After coughing so much I nearly threw up I seriously considered phoning in sick. But it’s not something I do lightly. I got into the car. Despite the pundits having said that last night would be the coldest of the year, the thing wasn't covered in ice. I drove through the rain to the co-op where the disinterested assistant couldn't be arsed to show me where the cough sweets were. Fortunately her manager could be arsed, and as I walked out I scoffed one.

As I went on to work the news was on the radio. The pundits were talking about how at this time of year, seventy per cent of those attending at A&E departments are pissed as farts. Their concern was to have facilities in city centres to deal with drunks away from busy hospitals.
My concern was how can so many people afford to spend so much money in pubs? I can't.

I got to work for the early shift and coughed and spluttered my way through another day. I declined the opportunity of extra work this weekend, and came home at the earliest opportunity.
I came home to find "Daddy’s Little Angel TM" and "Stormageddon - Bringer of Destruction TM" wreaking mayhem. I don’t know what they were up to; I tried (and failed) to get some sleep.

"er indoors TM" boiled up turkey curry and we scoffed it whilst watching yesterday’s episode of “The Orville”. I don’t get that show at all; it is really good sci-fi interspersed with comedy that doesn’t work and bits that are just ridiculous. Everyone else seems to rave about it. Do you just ignore the stupid parts?
After that we watched “Mr Bean’s Holiday”; a film of which I have seen the end so many times, but never the beginning.

I wish I could stop coughing…

No comments:

Post a Comment