26 February 2021 (Friday) - The Cone of Shame

I slept well, but I am reliably informed that er indoors TM” got up to Sid three times during the night. Fudge had a good night though, and he sat next to me as I scoffed toast. He was still sulking about having to have his “cone of shame” over his head, but he does himself no favours. He was obviously thirsty last night so we took the cone off so he could get a drink. Before we could do anything he was chewing at his bandages.

 

I rolled my eyes somewhat as I read on Facebook that the “Mr Potato Head” toy has had a re-branding. In order to appeal to today’s children the thing is becoming gender-neutral. My immediate reaction was that this isn’t to appeal to children at all but to pander to some politically correct agenda. But then I remembered a conversation with favourite granddaughter who told me there are several children in her class at school who insist on using gender-neutral pronouns for themselves. And there are also a couple of children who were little girls a year or so ago who now claim to be young men.

Don’t get me wrong - I’m not having a go at the trans community here. This is just yet another part of today’s society which goes right over my head.

 

Expecting the worst I walked down the road to the dentist. Being a hundred yards away they are convenient, but I do have issues with the place. I had an appointment with the hygienist booked for today as a prelude to an appointment with the dentist next Tuesday (as the dentist wants me to see the hygienist first). Late yesterday afternoon the surgery phoned me to say they’d had to cancel next Tuesday’s appointment, and could I come in to the dentist today *before* I saw the hygienist. I said I could *if* they could tell the dentist that seeing him first was their idea.

I saw the dentist five minutes earlier than planned. He was impressed with my gob, but intimated that I should have seen the hygienist first. I smiled. I then went back to the waiting room from where I expected to be immediately taken to the hygienist. My appointment with her was for nine o’clock. At quarter past nine she wandered through and asked me if I minded if she finished her cup of coffee before seeing me (!)

I finally got in to see her twenty minutes after my actual appointment time. She asked no end of rather personal questions, took one look inside my cake-muncher, and went mad. Mine was the worst mouth she had ever seen. It really was as though I’d taken different mouths to the dentist and hygienist.

The hygienist had a serious rummage about in my gob and issued me with an interproximal dental brush that I must use daily. I’ve used smaller emulsion brushes (!)

Once she’d finished, I could taste blood for the rest of the day.

 

I was only five minutes late getting Fudge to the vet. The vet gave him a once-over whilst I was there, and seemed pleased with his progress. Fudge didn’t seem pleased to be left there for another day on fluids, but it was for his own good.

I came home, and took Treacle and Pogo out.

We went to Kings Wood where we did the same walk as yesterday, but in reverse. Again not having Fudge along meant we got one so much quicker. Pogo and Treacle were incredibly well behaved, which was just as well. I think today must have been “National Keep Your Dog An A Lead” day. We met loads of dogs in the depths of the wood. All on leads, and the people with them all glared at me in a very pointed way.

 

With walk walked I went through my letter rack and found all sorts of old rubbish that I didn’t need or want. Bank statements from ages ago, raffle tickets for the goat sanctuary from Christmas, old premium bonds (are they worth anything?)

I then had another look at my household accounts and bearing in mind my rant about insurance yesterday I had a look-see at various insurance policies I have. I was spending eighteen quid a month on a policy which supposedly would pay for repairs to the washing machine. In the time I’ve had the policy going I could have used the money to buy two new washing machines. That policy got cancelled. I’ve also been spending seven quid a month on a policy for fixing my lap-top. The lap-top is now five years old and (according to those who know) now beyond repair should it go west. That policy got cancelled too.

Whilst I was obsessing with money again, er indoors TM” suggested I might have a look at creditkarma dot com. They told me my credit score was excellent. That was nice, but I can’t help but think the vet bill will sort that out… 

I spent the afternoon slobbing in front of the telly, then went to fetch Fudge. The vet said he’d been good as gold, and was hopeful. He’s got another appointment in the morning for a review. In the meantime he’s had his dinner, and is now sulking about having to wear the cone of shame…

No comments:

Post a Comment