28 February 2021 (Sunday) - End Of The Holiday

I was again woken by Sid’s shouting that he wanted to go outside, and again came down to a turd-free downstairs. I saw that as something of a victory.

Fudge came downstairs too, and then spent far too long bumbling round a cold garden before sitting next to me shivering for a while, He has lost so much weight recently he seems to be suffering from the cold far more than usual. I did wonder if he was shivering as a reaction to all the medication he’s been on this week, or whether he’s eaten something he shouldn’t, but the shivering eased a lot as he sat cuddled up with me. Perhaps he needs to wear a coat more often?

He helped me with some of the crusts from my toast as I peered into the Internet. There was a particularly nasty squabble kicking off on one of the local Facebook pages. The exact cause of the squabble was irrelevant, but some of the people spewing their bile on the matter (according to their Facebook profiles) lived in Birmingham, Aberdeen and Ramsgate. Why should they care what goes on miles from their homes if not to just have a good argument?

 

I then had a little look at the price of railway sleepers for my next garden project. Some time ago (probably in 2007) I dug up the edges of my lawn and put down decorative red chippings. I got a load of edging stones from Whelans to keep the shingle in place, put those edges weren’t the tallest and over time they have sunk, and as fence panels got replaced and the area tramples the edging stones have migrated. And (in all honesty) I doubt they went in very straight in the first place.

Now they are now barely visible over the grass and are pointing in all directions. Seeing that the fence has been made good, I have a plan to replace the lawn edges with wooden sleepers which I could paint to match the fences, and with sleepers in place I could get more of a depth of decorative red chippings. As always it pays to shop about. B&Q were charging twice the price of a garden supplier in Northiam.

Mind you it is all theoretical until such time as the insurance pays up for Fudge’s recent little episode…

 

I got the pressure washer together and spent a little while zapping paving slabs in the garden. The pressure washer does clean things up impressively, but it does leave a lot of water slopping about the place. Having turned the lawn into a swamp I decided it was time to stop, and not to carry on any more.

I then sat by the pond watching Fudge stalk the Koi. He’s still not right, but he was obviously feeling well enough to bother the fish. As I watched him so the seat of our garden arbour collapsed under me. I spent a few minutes fixing that.

 

We then got the dogs onto their leads for a little walk. Usually Sid isn’t keen on going for a walk, but he was today. So much so that he crapped himself in excitement (quite literally). Pausing only briefly to clear up the turds, we did the same walk we did yesterday. Usually when I walk the dogs on my own, I get out early and we have a better walk because we avoid the masses. Today the world and his wife seemed to be walking up and down the Greensand Way in Great Chart. I much prefer avoiding the masses as there are far fewer opportunities for Pogo to disgrace himself.

 

With walk walked and Pogo disgraced we came home and spent an afternoon slobbing in front of the telly. Slobbing in front of the telly is all very well, and is probably for the best at the moment what with my dodgy knee, but I do miss the long weekend walks.

er indoors TM” sorted a rather good bit of dinner which we scoffed whilst watching more episodes of “Upload”. Not a new idea in sci-fi; until I saw this show I rather thought virtual reality worlds had been done to death, but this is a rather good take on an old idea.

 

Back to work tomorrow… in another (non-COVID) plane of reality I would seriously be considering pulling a sickie and talking to my GP about knee replacement surgery tomorrow. But we are where we are… I might just give him a ring and ask to be put on a waiting list to see an orthopaedic surgeon.

I should also chase the ENT people too about the appointment I had cancelled for me a month ago…

No comments:

Post a Comment