26 November 2016 (Saturday) - Lingfield

After two night shifts I slept like a log. I had a vague recollection of being trampled by my dog in the small hours but when I got up we was fast asleep on the sofa. Over brekkie I watched an episode of one of my favourite shows - “Upstairs Downstairs” - on the ITV encore channel. In today’s episode her ladyship was having it away with a young airman. The young airman went on to get shot down – a judgment perhaps? I then had a little look on Wikipedia. It turns out that many of the actors who were in “Upstairs Downstairs” acted in very little else. Mind you this morning’s episode was rather different to many I watch. Usually I watch it in the afternoons, and at that time of day the adverts are about suffering animals and children. It made a pleasant change not having depressing adverts.

With "er indoors TM" off to the convocation of candlemongers in Windsor I had been left to my own devices today. So I popped the lead on "Furry Face TM" and we drove up to Leybourne where we’d agreed to meet Tracey and Karl. Having arrived a few minutes early I checked the geo-map to find I’d parked not sixty yards from a geocache, so me and my dog made a crafty find whilst we were waiting.

Tracey and Karl soon arrived and we set off for Lingfield in Surrey where we’d planned to wander round the Lingfield Loop series of geocaches. We parked up to find the car park ticket machine was broken (what a shame!) and we set off on our stroll. It was a rather cold morning; several of the puddles we found were covered in ice, and it was rather foggy too.
We walked past the village jail where the last resident was a poacher (over a hundred years ago). We saw pheasants and hawks. We saw some birds which we couldn’t decide if they were yellowhammers or goldfinches. We took the wrong bridge. We found a very odd arrangement of military pill boxes – whilst now derelict they had obviously been arranged to have overlapping fields of fire. What on Earth had they been set up to defend?
Geocache-wise it was a good walk. The caches were not too far apart and were (mostly) straightforward finds. We logged a “did not find” on one; we thought it had gone missing. Billed as a walk of six miles “Hannah” measured it as seven and a half.

We finished walking just as it was getting cold. Rather than doing the nearby Wherigo we went to the Greyhound for a crafty half. The Greyhound is an odd pub. It looked rather posh from the outside. On the inside it was full of assorted thugs shouting at two TV screens. Interestingly the two TV screens were tuned to different channels and were showing different sporting events. But the thugs didn’t seem bothered, and they were civil enough as well.

My little dog slept most of the way home (when he wasn’t farting). Once home I drove round the block twice trying to find somewhere to park. There were no spaces to be had; eventually I found a space in Francis Road (three streets away).  I had hoped to park closer to home so I could load up my fishing gear, but that wasn’t going to happen this evening.
Ironically "er indoors TM" came home twenty minutes after me and said there were loads of parking spaces outside.

After a rather good bit of dinner "er indoors TM" went off to the Saturday film night and as my dog snored I settled in front of the telly.
I might have an early night…

No comments:

Post a Comment