15 July 2021 (Thursday) - Early Shift

When I was sorting out the undercrackers on Tuesday I found I was missing a sock. I wasn't overly worried as these things always turn up. The missing one turned up this morning laying on the kitchen floor. I suspect Treacle had been playing with it. She does that.

I set yet another negative COVID test going, made toast, and scoffed it whilst watching an episode of "Fresh Meat", then had a quick look at the Internet. There was an argument beginning to smoulder on the Facebook "Bottom" group in which some chap was quibbling about inconsistencies in the show regarding Spud Gun's name and family. Bearing in mind the show’s target audience is people who think that belting people round the head with a frying pan is funny, perhaps the best comment in the potential squabble was the friendly but sincere advice that the chap quibbling should get a life. However friendly but sincere advice offered on-line is rarely taken in that vein.

 

Taking care not to wake “er indoors TM or Treacle I set off to work. Getting out of Ashford at the moment is something of a pain in the glass (to coin a phrase) as the main west-ward road is blocked completely in two places. But after a ten-minute diversion I was soon weaving around the HGVs on the motorway. As I drove the pundits on the radio were talking about the government's plan to introduce a "sugar and salt" tax on foods in our shops.

It was billed as the "World's first proposed 'snack tax' on sugary and salty food" which confused me a tad.  Wasn't one introduced a few years ago?  I can distinctly remember there being talk about it and I ranted on the subject myself six years ago on 30 November 2015.

Pausing only briefly not to get run off the road by a van brandishing artwork about "Safe UK" (somewhat ironic) I was soon at work.

 

I did my bit; an early start made for an early finish (as I so often say). I took a little diversion to Penenden to cap five Qrewzees for the Clan War (it’s a Munzee thing) before coming home.

 

Once home I had a surprise – Pogo was back in residence. We’re having something of a dog-share with Pogo between “Daddy’s Little Angel TM” and us. I was a bit dubious about the idea, but so far it seems to be working.

“er indoors TM” boiled up a particularly good bit of dinner which we washed down with a rather good bottle of claret (not bad for four quid!) as we watched “Ade in Britain” in which Adrian Edmondson visited Kent. He went to the Shepherd Neame brewery, and to the Whitstable oyster festival and to a cobnut farm…

I do like that show – bearing in mind it was made about eight years ago I can’t help but wonder how many other gems I’ve missed…

No comments:

Post a Comment