30 April 2022 (Saturday) - Bit Dull Really

The night shift went rather well; far better than the last one I did, but I was still glad to see the early shift arrive. Sadly half an hour before they’d turned up I’d had a patient arrive with an anti-Jk(a) antibody which I was only too happy to hand over…  if anyone ever tells you about blood group O Negative being a universal blood donor, take a few drops of the O Negative in me, stick it in this patient and then see what happens… Or don’t.

Actually I would seriously suggest you don’t; it would kill them.

 

As I drove home there was talk on the radio about the MP who was been caught watching filth on his mobile phone. He says it was all a mistake; he clicked on the wrong link. I suppose (in his defence) this might have been the case. I get sent a lot of iffy links in amongst the stuff I see on-line. Mind you my local MP was in the news a little while ago with loads of smut having been found on his lap-top. Why don’t the IT people in the Houses of Parliament set their networks so as you can’t access the filth? The hospital network I use has got all sorts of safeguards in it so that you can’t get to the grumble sites.

However surely the scandal here isn’t that he was looking at pictures of nudey ladies without any clothes on. Surely the issue is that the naughty MP was fiddling about on his phone when he should have been doing the work for which he has been elected and for which he is paid to do. I’m not allowed to fiddle about on my mobile when I’m supposed to be working, am I?

 

I got home and went to bed. I didn’t set an alarm and so didn’t wake until the middle of the afternoon. I usually set an alarm for mid day so that the day isn’t entirely wasted.

Over an incredibly late brekkie I peered into the Internet. I had a friend request on Facebook from a new girl at work. I clicked “accept” and was amazed at some of the mutual friends we have. But that is social media, isn’t it? My brother and cousin are Facebook friends with an ex-manager of mine who lives in Dover. What’s the connection there? My brother (who lives in Hastings) and the husband of an ex-colleague (who lives in Aberdeen) are both Facebook friends with some chap from the West Midlands. People I know through kite-flying are Facebook friends with people at work. People I know from my days in the astro club are friends with hunters of Tupperware…

The connections people form are amazing.

 

Leaving the puppies with “er indoors TM I took Pogo and Treacle to Orlestone for a little walk. Pogo had no trouble jumping in and out of the car, which was a result. As we walked we met an “interesting couple”. Two of them a little way off the footpath both desperately clinging to a lead at the other end was a dog the size of a rhino and with the temperament of a total b*stard. The chap screamed at me that I should hurry past as their dog wasn’t good with other dogs and he wasn’t sure how much longer he could hold the lead. I resisted the temptation to point out the blatantly obvious, and we sauntered past. When we got back to the car (fifteen minutes later) we could still hear that dog’s vicious snarling and barking in the distance.

Why do people get such big dogs that they so obviously can’t control?

 

Once home I did something I should really have done three weeks ago. I finally got round to updating the puppies’ microchips. If they should ever go walkabout the chip is their neck will enable any vet to contact us; or it will do once the information has been updated. It didn’t take *that* long to do, but am I being an old meanie in thinking that an admin fee of twelve quid (per dog) is just a tad excessive?

 

“er indoors TM boiled up a rather good bit of dinner which we washed down with a four quid bottle of Sainsbury’s hock, and as bottles of plonk go, that four quid bottle of plonk was far better than a lot of the stuff we’ve quzzled recently. As we scoffed and quaffed we watched the most recent episode of “Star Trek: Picard” which was (sadly) best described as “crap”. Nearly an hour’s viewing… pretty much nothing happened.

This is true of pretty much all of the new “Star Trek” and all of the new “Doctor Who”. I watch them because I always have done, but am always disappointed.

And then I got to scoff the trifle that “er indoors TM had made. Now that was rather good… 

Apart from the trifle, today was something of a dull day really. Had I been able to have swapped out of last night’s night shift I might have gone on a geo-walk round Greenwich which took place today. I would have liked to have gone on that but getting anyone to swap into a Friday night takes some doing. And a Friday night before a Bank Holiday weekend… I certainly wouldn’t want to swap into one.

No comments:

Post a Comment