24 April 2022 (Sunday) - Early Shift

I had a rather bad night last night, waking shortly after midnight then seeing every hour of the night as I desperately fought Treacle and Pogo for bed space. I eventually gave up and started what has become my morning ritual (when I am first one up).

I crept downstairs and sneaked to the bathroom where I had my shave before unlocking and opening the back door, then woke the puppies. They staggered out of their crate to see me, and I bundled them up and hurried them outside where both did what they go outside to do. They then sat with me whilst I watched "Orange is the New Black"; I say "sat"; "fought for thirty seconds then went to sleep" is what actually happened. And with them both asleep I carried them back to their crate, got ready for work and set off up the motorway.

 

Despite the best efforts of the lorry which was tail-ending me all up the "Operation Brock" contraflow I survived the drive to Maidstone. As I drove there was something which could have been interesting on the radio. The show was billed as being about people who either stayed with or left their places of worship when they found themselves at odds with their religions. It could have been an interesting insight into how people reconcile their consciences with their beliefs, or carry on going to a place of worship where they don't feel welcome... I was reminded of my days in the Methodist church when I wasn't part of the "in crowd", and of the chap who was the leading light of the Boys Brigade in Hastings who seemed so happy when he told me that he and his wife had changed their church.

But the radio show was nothing like that.

It started off by saying how the church in South Africa didn't speak up against the apartheid regime and named one priest who did. They then played a frankly awful musical dirge, then named another priest who stood up against the German church which didn't oppose Hitler (before playing another frankly dreadful musical howling). And so it went on. An endless list of people who stuck with a church with which they clearly disagreed interspersed by frankly awful music. In an attempt to be inclusive they mentioned a woman who had deliberately tried to stir up trouble in a mosque when everyone had asked her not to, but that too was reduced to tedium.

I suppose not many people listen to the radio at six o'clock on a Sunday morning, but those of us who do would like something better.

 

I'd set off to work a little earlier than I might have done this morning. Just before bed time last night I saw a new geocache had gone live only a short walk from work and this morning I saw that no one had claimed the First To Find. I've already had one this month, but with (seemingly) no active hunters of Tupperware operating near work I thought I might try my luck. I drove as close as I could to the location, and walked a short distance to find an eight-foot high fence in my way. I parked somewhere more sensible, and it wasn't long before I found what I was looking for. And I was the first one to find it too. Result.

 

Being early I had a crafty cuppa before starting work. I would have had a celebratory croissant from the works branch of Marks & Spencer had they not opened until an hour after my shift started.

I wasn't supposed to be working today. Originally I was supposed to be working the early shift at Tunbridge Wells today, but I'd managed to unload that onto a colleague  who wanted to work extra shifts. However last Monday (on the Bank Holiday) the chap who took over from me said that he'd booked a little holiday in Blackpool this weekend, but had forgotten he was working today. Could I cover it for him? I could... I don't mind stepping into the breach when these things happen. I suppose it is all part of working in a hospital. I don't dislike hospital work, but if I had my time again I would work somewhere that (periodically) puts up a "closed" sign.

 

Mind you I was missing out today. Whilst I worked Tracey came round to play with the puppies. It would have been nice to have caught up. And the weather was rather good today. I rather resent working when I could be out and about doing things in decent weather.

 

I came home via Stanhope where “er indoors TM  had mistakenly magnetised a Skyland (woops!). Once home I fussed the dogs then continued “dog school”. I would sit by the pond until the dogs lost interest in me, and would then blow the whistle. Treacle and Pogo would come running and get their treat, but the babies would only come if they hadn’t gone indoors. Once inside they seem more interested in what is going on in there than in the whistle sounds from outside.

After a few goes at the whistle I then started getting all the bank accounts downloaded in readiness for the monthly “accounting for every penny” (because I am mean like that).

 

“er indoors TM  boiled up a very good home-made pizza which we scoffed whilst watching an episode of “Lego Masters: USA” in which the contestants made windmills which were then tested to destruction in hurricane-force winds.

I wish I could play on the set of that show for a day or so…

No comments:

Post a Comment