28 April 2022 (Thursday) - Goes Well With Aubergines

I slept better than I have done recently last night, but was still awake far too early. I crept downstairs and managed to get the shave done before waking the puppies. Unlike other dogs who seem to sleep with one eye open, the puppies are out like a light when asleep.

I watched an episode of ”Orange is the New Black” as I drank my Slimfast shake, then paused the telly program. Morgan seemed to have a dried poop stain on his head, and in scrubbing that off I managed to wake both pups who got a tad over-excited. The excitement didn’t last long though. The babies are either manic or fast asleep, with little in between.

 

Five friends had a birthday today. I sent out the birthday video, then had a quick look at the Internet. There wasn’t much happening, so I carried the sleeping pups to their crate, put on one of the new shirts I bought yesterday and set off to work.

 

I rolled my eyes as I drove up the motorway. The pundits on the radio were interviewing some Welsh Conservative MP who as banging on about the success of "diagnostic hubs".

This is the latest fashionable idea for the NHS which has been brought in on a political whim. The idea is that "GPs will be able to refer patients to a centre so they can access life-saving checks closer to home and be diagnosed for a range of conditions, rather than travelling to hospital". This sounds like a good idea doesn't it?  However this is a complete about-face for NHS policy. For years smaller centres like the ones proposed have been closed down and the services centralised for both economies of scale and because there aren't enough NHS staff to keep loads of small centres open. Where there used to be four blood-testing labs across south Kent there is now only one. So many hospital laboratories across the country have been merged. This was the key take-home message of the Carter report of 2006  and after working to that end for sixteen years it seems that it's "all change" at the NHS again, even though there is demonstrably nowhere near enough staff to do this. This is entirely what is wrong with the NHS, isn't it?

And while I'm thrashing myself to death whist waiting to be redeployed to a diagnostic hub, our MPs are allegedly sitting in the House of Commons watching filth on their mobile phones.

Nice work if you can get it.

 

I did my bit at work. At tea break I used my mobile phone not to watch filth, but to get the latest on “Daddy’s Little Angel TM” 's washing machine. The poor thing has been brought back from the dead. Apparently it was spinning a tad too vigorously and had managed to pull its own plug out (a nice trick if you can do it). The clouds of steam remain unexplained, but bearing in mind that the thing is now working, the steam is (in many ways) just a piddling detail.

It is just as well it was all sorted; she had been looking at contacting some chap who advertises that he will take the carcass of poggered washing machines in part-exchange for reconditioned ones. This chap will then bodge the dead machine into some semblance of life at which point he will look for some unsuspecting sap to whom he will sell it  (presumably only for it to pack up again very soon).

This too is also nice work if you can get it.

As I peered down the microscope for much of the day I again reflected on my career choices. I suspect there is far more money to be made from looking at filth in the House of Commons or from unloading hooky washing machines to an unsuspecting public than there ever is to be had from peering down a microscope.

 

I came home, and spent a little while in the garden playing “fetch” with the dogs. Treacle hoarded as many balls as she could, and the puppies did their own strange thing, but Pogo had a go at “fetch”; it is a game he seems to enjoy.

 

“er indoors TM boiled up a vey good bit of dinner which we washed down with a bottle of Malbec which we chose because the tasting notes said it went well with aubergines. Does it? Never knowingly eaten an aubergine I have no idea.

And I then used the last of the plonk to accompany a lump of cheese and some crackers. I had the cheese to myself but shared the crackers with the dogs. Bailey and Morgan are learning “sit” and sitting for crackers went a long way to reinforce the training.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment