21 April 2022 (Thursday) - Dog School

I woke feeling full of energy and raring to go… at half past two. I lay awake for far too long before giving up and getting up. The puppies were so sleepy as they saw me, and once they were carried outside both did both types of what they had been carried out to do. They then slept next to me on the sofa as I watched an episode of “Orange is the New Black” which ended pretty much at the time when my alarm was due to go off to wake me up.

 

I logged my brekkie on my myfitnesspal app, and registered another negative COVID test. I rather resent having negative COVID tests at a time when being positive wouldn’t be such an issue. Being positive three weeks ago was a real nuisance.

Facebook was rather devoid of anything of note this morning; probably because I was up and about far too early. I sent out a couple of birthday wishes, then had a look at my emails. I had a money off voucher from Halfords… well, I didn’t. Someone with the same name as me who lives on the Isle of Wight has been having a squabble with their local branch of Halfords and he should have had the voucher. I’ve had correspondence about this chap’s account with the building society as well in the past.

And with nothing else of note I settled the puppies and got dressed… and realised I never replaced that button that had gone missing from my trousers yesterday. I meant to do that yesterday evening but fell asleep far too early. I could have done that at five o’clock this morning when wide awake and watching telly but had forgotten.

 

I set off to work  west-wards. I have quite a long drive to Pembury through the -hursts and the -dens, but it can be a rather pretty drive (when I get to do it in daylight). This morning I lost count of the number of hawks I saw hovering over the fields; obviously poised to have any unsuspecting mouse.

As I drove to work the pundits on the radio were playing a lot of the recordings of what had happened yesterday in Parliament. Have you ever listened to Parliament. Quite frankly it is a national disgrace. With the Prime Minister shouting that the Leader of the Opposition was "out of his tiny mind", had it been the fruits of my loin squabbling I would have sent them to bed (with a slapped arse each).

 

There was also quite a bit of talk about Prince (apparently he still is) Harry who had yesterday given some deliberately controversial interview to someone or other. Despite having made a mysterious statement about wanting to "protect" the Queen he then deliberately undermined her birthday celebrations today with his attention-seeking. He has hinted he might move back to the UK; I suspect he thinks he's more likely to get money from the UK government than he will from anyone in America (or am I doing him an injustice?)

 

I got to work for the early shift and had a better day than I might have done. As I worked, the boss's boss's boss asked me about my CPD blog. He seemed quite enthusiastic and encouraging about it; such a difference of attitude from where I used to work where I was actively discouraged because what I was doing wasn’t on their official headed paper.

 

An early start made for an early finish (as I so often write). I came home and then didn’t stop. I walked the bigger dogs round the block, then took all four dogs into the garden for another lesson in dog school. We worked on recall today.

The idea was that I would chuck a tennis ball up the garden and all dogs would chase after it. Once at the far end of the garden I would blow the whistle. Pogo and Treacle (who know whistle training) would then come running for the treat that goes with the whistle. And the puppies would soon learn the idea from the bigger dogs.

It was a frankly brilliant idea, however…

I chucked the tennis ball once, and Treacle got it and wouldn’t let it go. I blew the whistle and Pogo came charging up for a treat. Morgan followed, but despite wresting the ball from Treacle and throwing it again and again, neither boy would leave me as I had the treats. And Bailey just bimbled about doing her own sweet thing.

I gave up after fifteen minutes when the treats ran out, and when all four dogs started chewing the monkey-puzzle tree (I wondered why as well – it looked rather sharp and spiky to me). In the end we’d given Pogo and Treacle something of a refresher, and the puppies seemed to have formed a rather vague idea of what it was all about. We’ll try again tomorrow.

 

I then ironed for an hour or so until “er indoors TM came home and boiled up some tacos. They were rather good.

I’m definitely having an early night tonight… I’m knackered.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment