6 April 2022 (Wednesday) - Feeling a Tad Grim

I slept like a log. I’ve noticed that over the last few days I’ve slept well and woken in exactly the same position as that in which I went to sleep. I don’t seem to move during the night any more. Is this a “rona thing” or a “not being trampled by dogs” thing?

I started on the daily COVID testing… The boss tells me that I now have to do lateral flow tests every day. Do I? I didn’t argue; I just did as I was told. The test was still positive… as I expected.

 

I made toast and peered into the internet and sulked as I looked at an album of photos from Norfolk. “er indoors TM” and the dogs and everyone seemed to be having a good time.

And then my piss boiled. The BBC have apparently decided to cut some of their management and administrative roles, and someone called June Sarpong was getting the heave-ho. Apparently Ms Sarpong has been getting over a quarter of a million quid a year as the BBC’s “director of creative diversity”. She was supposed to ensure audiences across the U.K. (from all backgrounds and communities) can feel that the BBC is for them. And she only worked a three-day week. Doesn’t this speak volumes about our society in that political correctness is valued *far* higher than hospitals and schools.

 

Bearing in mind the utter shambles that was Tesco and Sainsburys home deliveries yesterday I had a look at getting what I needed from the co-op via Deliveroo this morning. They offered free delivery on an order over ten quid and claimed it could be with me in half an hour. I pressed the buttons and while I waited I got on with my plan for the morning.

With rain forecast for mid-day I thought I might quickly mow the lawn before the rain, then afterwards I might pressure-wash the front garden. Despite having the word “wash” in it, this is a job which generates a lot of mess, and always looks better after the rain has washed away much of the muck. Ideally the rain which had been forecast for mid-day would wash away much of the muck. It was a good plan…

 

I thought that as I waited for the Deliveroo chap I might make a start getting the front garden swept and ready for the pressure washing. As I swept up I saw a bit of rubbish… it was nicer-next-door’s milk bill. nicer-next-door get their milk delivered to the doorstep from one of the local dairies. Their milk bill for March was sixty quid. Sixty quid(!) Part of my morning’s Deliveroo order was four pints of milk; that was one pound fifty and two of those four-pint bottles would last the two of us (if I wasn’t abandoned “home alone”) for a week. I think it fair to say that our monthly milk bill is under fifteen quid. Sixty quid – I’m all for supporting small businesses, but someone somewhere is having a laugh.

As I stared at the milk bill in amazement so I saw the Deliveroo chap walking up the street. He was amazingly quick; arriving only twenty-five minutes after I’d put in the order (suck on that Tesco and Sainsburys!). However he’d brought the rain with him.

I abandoned the plan to go out to the back garden and mow the lawn. Instead I got out the pressure washer and scrubbed the front garden. Scrubbing it in the rain meant that I didn’t have to deal with the half-wit who lives down the road who hates pressure washers and always comes and whinges at me about all the water it generates (that I sweep into the gutter).

 

With pressure washing pressure washed I spent the afternoon alternating between “Orange is the New Black” and “Star Trek: Elite Force II” until it was dinner time. I used my “Just Eat” app to send out for a Chinese takeaway that was something of a disappointment. Sadly Chinese takeaway is usually a disappointment. I get one, think “well… that was crap”, and after a couple of years forget that it was crap, order another and remind myself why it has been two years since I last got one.

I then spent much of the evening sulking with a stomach ache… as well as feeling rather under the weather with the rona.

No comments:

Post a Comment