26 November 2021 (Friday) - Bit Tired

I got some petrol last night before work. The old car was good for five trips to work and back (plus a bit of driving here and there) on a full tank of petrol. This car did eight trips. The range thingy said it still had a hundred and thirty-five miles before it would conk out, but the trip meter said I'd done four hundred and seventy miles since I'd filled it the last time, and once I'd filled it, it said I had a range of four hundred miles. I wonder if there's a way to get it to re-set the range estimating software?

I did my bit on the night shift and with my bit done I went out to the car park where the car was waiting... and realised that it is now "the car" and not "the new car". Today marks four weeks since I got it and in that time we've gone for many dog walks and brought back the mud and fox poo which goes with a dog walk.  I've done a tip run, and endless house-moving runs for “Daddy’s Little Angel TM”. We've been to Kwik-Fit to get one of the tyres sorted, and even had a software update. It has lost the "new car" smell and now has a faint whiff of wet dog and fox poo; which is as it should be.

 

I drove home through a rather dark and dismal morning. As I drove the pundits on the radio were spouting their usual brand of drivel. This morning they were talking about the latest row between the British and French governments. The specifics of the row are immaterial, but the French Premier in absolutely right when he says “You don’t communicate via tweets and open letters”. Boris Johnson seems to be taking the lead from that idiot Donald Trump. Clearly Boris Johnson is more interested in appealing to the electorate via Twitter than he is in achieving international diplomacy.

When the whole COVID thing blew up Boris Johnson appeared on telly seeming very statesman-like. He had the chance to firmly lead the nation and be a latter-day Churchill. It seems he’s deliberately thrown it all away. Is he *really* the incompetent idiot that he seems to pretend to be?

And talking of COVID there is another strain on the way. By all reports a nasty one. Is it? When COVID was first announced I was incredibly sceptical since the end of the world had been announced so many times before. A couple of years ago I was wrong. COVID *was* serious. So… what about this new strain. A serious concern or more media scaremongering?

 

I got home, said goodbye to “er indoors TM” as she went out, had a shower, then poured a whole load of drain unblocker down the plughole and went to bed. Two minutes later the dogs came up and made themselves comfortable on me, and we all slept till mid-day when I flushed the drain unblocker jollop away. The plughole seemed to flow rather better than it had been doing.

I set the washing machine going on some shirts, and seeing a break in the rain I took the dogs for a quick walk round the roads. I wasn’t going to go far as the sky looked black. The woods were out as we’d got filthy yesterday and we’d had a lot of rain since. We had a really good walk up until we got home. I unlocked the front door, opened it, and was about to let the dogs in; we have this thing where the first dog to sit gets to go in first. It sounds daft but they both seem to understand the game. It was at this point that some odd woman who had been walking her dogs down the road loudly announced that they were going to say “hello” and marched up our front path. Pogo and Treacle hadn’t seen her coming and were suddenly confronted with a stranger and two large dogs on their territory and bearing down on them.

The idiot woman had no idea what she had done wrong…

 

I made a bit of late brekkie, then spent the afternoon ironing whilst watching episodes of “Four in a Bed” in which the pretentious prats were trounced by the decent contestants.

As I ironed and watched telly so the phone rang. Some shyster was trying to get me to take out a service contract on my Sky-Q box. I say “my” Sky-Q box; it is Sky’s Sky-Q box. I owned the old Sky-Plus box and so if it went belly-up it was my problem. However one of the selling points of the Sky-Q box is that it is theirs, and if it goes west it is their problem. After a little farting around I got through to Dan in their help centre who assured my that Sky did in fact own the Sky-Q box which was on loan to me.

The postman then arrived with my latest eBay bargain. Twelve quid for a job lot of Lego. At least four of the bits in that job lot were worth twelve quid each; it pays to shop around.

 

I could have gone out this evening. The Rear Admiral’s band was playing in one of the pubs in the town centre. I thought about going… but it is cold and wet outside. And I’m feeling tired after the night shift. And going to see any live music in a local pub always goes the same way. You meet up with a load of friends but can’t hear a word they say and end up spending the fat end of fifty quid to get a headache. Instead we slobbed in front of the telly.

Time for an early night…

No comments:

Post a Comment