16 November 2021 (Tuesday) - Radar (!)

The dogs didn’t keep me up all night with their fidgeting but I still woke feeling rather grim. Almost as though the hangover I should have had on Sunday morning arrived two days late.

 

I made toast and watched an episode of “Big Mouth” as another COVID test incubated, then had my usual root about the Internet. As the lap-top eventually got itself going it told me that McAfee had something to say. I always though the McAfee thing was just an anti-virus but apparently it is much more. This morning it told me that my information was available on the dark web. There have (apparently) been breaches at myfitnesspal and Kickstarter. So if anyone wants to see my periodic attempts at dieting or wants to make charitable donations in my name I am powerless to stop them. Unless I change my passwords. Not that I can remember what those two passwords were…

Facebook was relatively quiet; someone who lives not too far from me was telling the Ashford Facebook page of the troubles they were having with their neighbours. I was rather glad to realise that it wasn’t just me who has a not-so-nice-next-door. Having made a concerted effort to get on with the neighbours (even offering to pay a thousand quid replacing her fence), I’ve given up trying. It is easier just to ignore her like she ignores me. Such a shame, really.

With no one having a birthday I had no birthday wishes to send, so I got ready for work.

 

As I drove to work the pundits on the radio were interviewing some windbag or other who was talking about how the NHS is facing the toughest winter in its history.   No news there - every winter would seem to be the NHS's toughest; it always has been up till now. But today's prattling came up with something which hasn't been mentioned before. "NHS Providers" (whoever they are)  is urging the government to offer cash bonuses of about five hundred quid to stop social care staff leaving for jobs in "hospitality, supermarkets, or online firms such as Amazon". It's good that someone in authority has realised this. Me - I've been saying it for years. Just think it through... on the one hand you can work at all hours of the night and day clearing up other people's shit (figuratively and literally) and risk being sacked without any references if you do anything wrong. Or you can work for more money doing a weekday nine-to-five and have evenings and weekends to yourself...

There was also talk about the Prime Minister's father who was accused of touching up Caroline Nokes, the Conservative MP for Romsey and Southampton North. Did he? Quite frankly I neither know nor care. I suppose it made for good gossip, but surely there were more pressing things in the news than an alleged goosing from ten years ago?

And it would seem that Science actually found Planet Nine years ago. I suppose back then Pluto was still a planet and this would have been Planet Ten (or in Roman numerals X) that science found… hence the confusion?

 

I planned my route to work via "points of interest" Munzees. I need to Munz sixty of the things in this month's clan war. I got eleven more this morning, and I've now got all that I need to get (until next month). I also had something of a shock too this morning.

As I drove an icon appeared on my car's display thingy -  a cartoon depiction of two cars with what looked like an exclamation mark between them. Apparently this is the "front assist" warning. According to Skoda's website it is a collision-alert safety system monitoring the situation in front of the vehicle via radar. I suppose that when I saw the thing flash up, another car had just cut in front of me a bit sharpish. I didn't know my car had radar. As I read the article it would seem that the radar gives the car the ability to slam on the brakes itself if it thinks I'm driving like a lunatic.  I wonder what else there is to find out about this car...

 

I got to work; there were chocolate rolls. Not cake, but not bad. Either way it was better than the carrot and pasta the dogs have just had for their dinner. They’ve each eaten all the pasta and left the carrot… until the other came to see what was left in the bowl then they scoffed the lot. Rather eat something you don’t like, than let your brother or sister have it…

 

No comments:

Post a Comment