28 October 2023 (Saturday) - Before the Late Shift

I woke to the sound of littlun having a stress fit shortly before seven o’clock. She had several of those yesterday. I thought I’d better get up and have a shave before the onslaught, but by the time I’d had a scrape, all was quiet again.
I made the most of it and had some toast and peered into the Internet. I was bombarded with adverts for sets of first edition coins – I could get a complete set of the first load of coins to feature the new king,. That would be nice… A set of coins which comes to the total value of three pounds eighty-eight pence would set me back thirty-three quid. If I wanted I could pay sixty-six quid and get duplicate coins so I could see both the front and the back of the coins. Or (if I was important enough) I could shell out eighty-five quid on the limited edition set. Presumably limited to as many as they can sell?
If anyone wants a set of these coins, I’ll sort you one out for twenty quid…
I was reminded of a friend of a friend who started a small business (many years ago) in which he bought loads of plain plastic frisbees and lunch boxes and rulers and the like. He printed off a load of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles stickers, stuck them on his plastic tat and made a fortune. He took the stickers off of those that didn’t sell and replaced them with Spice Girls stickers and sold more. The last I heard he was still coining it in, milking money from those who were wanting to jump on whatever bandwagon is the latest craze.
 
I looked at the rain... and looked at the key to the field in which we have Dog Club. If I wasn't the key holder I wouldn't have gone along this morning. I chivvied the dogs downstairs and into their coats and we drove through some rather awful rain to Dog Club. I opened up, and within a couple of minutes Ralph (and his humans) joined us, soon followed by Kai and Polly and their humans. The rain slackened off to mild drizzle, and seven dogs and five humans made the most of it. Some of the dogs were chasing after a ball being thrown, and with far fewer dogs along than usual, Treacle made an attempt to join in. I saw that as a major result.
But the drizzle soon gave way to heavier rain. We all said our goodbyes and left... and then I had a little issue with Morgan who didn't want to go home, and thought that if he stood in the middle of a rather deep puddle I wouldn't be able to get him.
He thought wrong.
 
As we drove home Steve was doing the mystery year on the radio which I thought was 1978. As the questions went on I became more and more confident... until he mentioned a television show on Channel Four. Channel Four started in 1982. So much for my theory.
Once home the dogs had a hot shower to warm them all up (and shift the mud). I had a complete change of clothes (even my pants were wringing wet), and I went up to the attic room to wake “er indoors TM and “Darcie Waa Waa TM.
 
We then had an entertaining hour or so in which “Darcie Waa Waa TM and I alternately sang along with Lube-Tube (!) songs (as she used Treacle as a pillow) and went out to the garden to see the water dogs (fish) in the pond. Favourite smallest granddaughter didn't care about the rain; when she pointed to the back door, out we went.
It was raining particularly hard as I drove off to work, but the rain gave way to glorious sunshine, then went back to rain, and then to sunshine again every few minutes. As I drove a familiar car came past and pulled in front of me. “My Boy TM” and his tribe were all off out somewhere. I wonder where?
 
I got to work, had a bit of dinner, and cracked on with the late shift. As I worked I alternately smiled and sulked as the rain came and went. I don't mind working when it rains, and there was probably equal amounts of rain and shine this afternoon. As I worked “Daddy’s Little Angel TM” sent me some photos - “Darcie Waa Waa TM had gone home and was far more pleased to see Pogo than her.
 
Work was rather hard work today; it probably didn’t help that as the afternoon wore on I felt progressively more and more grotty. Once I got home I did a ‘rona test to see if I’d caught it from “Darcie Waa Waa TM.
I hadn’t. It was negative. I suppose this is the new world order… every little headache and sore throat from here on in will raise the suspicion of ‘rona.
“er indoors TM boiled up a rather good bit of dinner which we scoffed whilst watching “Below Deck”; a sort-of cross between “Big Brother” and “Carry on Cruising”. Like all these reality-TV shows I can’t help but think that the characters in it are all actors; are people *really* that stupid?
Mind you, I’m completely hooked with this show…

No comments:

Post a Comment