22 October 2023 (Sunday) - Family Day

I had a rather bad night. Wanting to ensure that “Darcie Waa Waa TM was asleep so as not to disturb her when I came up with the dogs, I waited for the “all-clear” from “er indoors TM which came at half past eleven. I went up at midnight. As did the dogs who made a bee-line to the top bedroom, weren’t impressed to find the door (deliberately) closed and all started whinging. I gathered the dogs, marched them to my bedroom, closed the door and formally ordered silence.
At two o’clock I was changing the bedding as one of them (possibly Bailey) had a “potty emergency” and couldn’t get to the lino-ed area by the back door. We then stomped and paced and thrashed about until I gave up, marched them all downstairs and I watched an episode of “Foundation” until it got light outside.
 
I hung the washed bedspread on the line, then peered into the Internet. There was talk of a pub crawl round London with some old friends on one of the Facebook Groups I follow… ten selected pubs over five miles… Sadly in London and at London prices, by the time you’d got the train there and thrown in a kebab there wouldn’t be much change out of a hundred quid and nothing but a few photos and a headache to show for the day. Mind you if it goes ahead I shall be there.
I sent out a couple of birthday wishes, then on hearing Darcie Waa Waa TM shouting “Dog Dog Dog” I turned off the laptop and prepared for the onslaught.
 
The morning went rather painlessly. We had a brekkie of Tesco’s Choco Hoops. We both had a bowl of the things. I scoffed all of mine myself, littlun threw quite a few of hers at the dogs. Whilst “er indoors TM got dressed, I sang the wrong words to various Lube-Tube (!) songs to littlun’s amusement, then I drove us all down to Rye Harbour where we met father-in-law and we went for a little walk out to the estuary and back again. Rye Harbour is a pretty place to walk around, but with today being low tide there wasn’t any chance of seeing seals. And the place does heave with normal people. Half of the normal people had dogs off of the leads which were marching up to everyone, and all of these people were rather shocked when Treacle firmly told all of their dogs off. The other half of the normal people had small children on bicycles…
Have you ever seen a small child on a bicycle? There are two schools of thought about small children on bicycles. Either you demand that they cycle at walking pace and pretend to be surprised when they keep falling off. Or you stick stabilizers on the bike, keep shouting at the child and watch (with a stupid expression on your face) as the child who is staring back at you cycles straight into oncoming pedestrians. Time and time again.
Just as we came toward the end of our walk so Treacle jumped into belly-deep stagnant mud and looked at me clearly very pleased with herself…
 
We said goodbye to father-in-law, and as we loaded up the dogs and littlun into the car we had a few people asking if we were going. The free car park at Rye Harbour fills up rather quickly; we could probably have sold our parking space for hard cash today. If ever you fancy a walk at Rye Harbour Nature Reserve, I’d suggest getting there no later than half past ten in the morning.
 
Darcie Waa Waa TM fell asleep half-way to Folkestone, and was still snoring when we dropped her with “Daddy’s Little Angel TM” who had had over twelve hours sleep herself. I would have liked to have stayed with them for a bit, but Treacle was seriously stinking the car out. There was only one place she was going when she left the car’s boot, and that was into the bath.
“er indoors TM and I came home. Treacle got a serious scrub which shifted most (but not all) of the stench.
 
“er indoors TM cracked on with painting the back bedroom. I was still feeling a tad grim (I’ve not felt right for a few days) so I sat on the sofa with dogs and pretended not to notice the foul whiffs emanating from Treacle as I dozed through episodes of “Four in a Bed” in which a vindictive harridan from Yorkshire was fool enough to allow the television cameras to record just how filthy her hotel was, and then tried to lambast people whose bed and breakfast establishments were demonstrably far cleaner than hers.
 
Over a rather good bit of scoff we watched the last episode of “Detectorists”… or the last that is on Netflix. There was a Christmas special last year. I wonder where I can find that one…
 
Having had a complete weekend off is something of a rarity in my world. It’s been a rather good one.
I am reliably informed that Treacle will be doused with air freshener before bed time.

No comments:

Post a Comment