18 October 2023 (Wednesday) - Rainy Day

I woke feeling rather grim this morning, but cracked on with the day in the hope that I might perk up a little. Leaving “er indoors TM and the dogs snoring I went downstairs, had a shave and scoffed toast as I watched telly. "Alice in Borderland" is now getting a bit silly. Given that you are part of a gang of six (all of whom have rather lethal guns) and you are facing one evil baddie, what do you do? Shoot him from a safe distance, then once he’s down shoot him between the eyes at close range? That's what I'd do. But our half-dozen heroes all charged the evil baddie, dropped their weapons and took it in turns to have a fist fight with him. And all acted surprised when they all lost. And then despite all of the gang of six getting multiple stabbings and gunshots to the gut and the head, all of them survived to do it all again in the next episode.
 
I got dressed. As I got dressed I was a tad miffed to find that “er indoors TM and the dogs had all stopped snoring. It's a shame they can't do their snoring once I've gone to work rather than when I'm trying to get a bit of kip...
I walked seemingly miles to find my car. When I came home last night there were no parking spaces to be had. This morning I walked past a dozen.
I drove up the motorway (Maidstone again today) through miles of coned-off-only-two-lanes with not a single road work actually being done. As I drove the pundits on the radio were talking about how a hospital in Gaza has been bombed. Both sides blamed the other; the Arab leaders have all refused to meet with the American President in protest, things go from bad to worse… and the poor people on the streets remain shat upon. Sadly in that part of the world, twas ever thus and probably ever will be. Even though it doesn’t have to be.
Meanwhile it was announced that Oxford university will be the international headquarters for the “Breakthrough Listen Initiative”; an astronomical programme searching for “technosignatures” - of past or present technology that would signal the presence of life in other parts of the universe. After ten minutes of the interviewers having no embarrassment of their ignorance, the chap being interviewed was quite open that they hadn’t found any aliens to the total surprise of the interviewer. His “Dur!” at the rather simplistic interviewer was quite apparent in his tone.
 
Needing petrol I stopped off at the Sainsbury’s petrol station in Aylesford. The staff on the till were quite openly talking about the attitude of the staff in the main supermarket. I’ve blogged about how rude they are before (many times); this morning the people in the petrol station were egging customers on to make formal complaints and telling everyone the name of the old harridan to mention in the formal complaints.
That store must be a delightful place in which to work…
 
I got to work. Today was a rather good day in that it rained, and when it rains a puddle forms on the flat roof outside our window and the goldfinches come for a bath in it. I have seen more goldfinches before, but they are fun to watch.
Mind you the same rain made getting home something of a nightmare…
 
I felt grim when I got up… I still feel grim now…

No comments:

Post a Comment