2 October 2023 (Monday) - Week Off Day One

I rather ached when I woke this morning. After-effects of Friday’s vaccinations or too much jumping about on the trampolines yesterday?
I made toast and sparked up my lap-top. Two Facebook friends had birthdays today. I sent out birthday wishes to the one with whom I see regularly… the other made me think… The one to whom I sent the birthday video is someone with whom I work. The one to whom I didn’t is someone with whom I used to work twelve years ago, haven’t seen since and (in all honesty) probably never will.
Work is strange, isn’t it? You spend so much of your life with some people all day every day. Then one or other of you leave the workplace and you never see them again…
 
I loaded the dogs into the car and we set off for WIllesborough. As we drove the pundits on the radio were interviewing someone or other about his experiences with someone else. I have absolutely no idea who the person being interviewed was, or any idea who they were talking about, but it was rather captivating.
 
We got to the Skoda garage where we left the car (to get the brakes sorted) and walked the two and a half miles home. The walk went well even if the dogs did have to stay on the lead the entire time. We met a few dogs; most encounters passed off uneventfully. One didn’t though. There was an elderly couple with a white Labrador. The dog didn’t seem fussed, but the elderly woman started shrieking “Ooh, Ooh, Ooh” with increasing volume and increasing panic for absolutely no reason at all. Needless to say this wound all the dogs up.
And then another woman screamed and jumped on to a wall as we walked past. I’m seeing this more and more and (at the risk of appearing racist) especially from the immigrant community. Are my three hounds really *that* scary?
As we walked we went past where I once hid a geocache (nearly ten years ago). I’d had a report that the thing was missing. Was it? I don’t know – I couldn’t get anywhere near the tree where it was supposed to be; the brambles were that high.
 
We came home where I sorted a cuppa for me and “er indoors TM and warmed up the last of the pains au chocolat from yesterday, and then had a little think about that problem geocache of mine.
Having thought about it I then put right whatever geocaching dot com had done to the description of one of my geocaches near work (rendering it unsolvable), then strained my brain on a puzzle geocache that I spotted on the geo-map not far from home.
The puzzle was straightforward. There were eleven photographs of Lego models of famous landmarks each with a letter from A to L (geocachers don’t use the letter “I”!) You have to identify each landmark, then order them from the most westerly to the most easterly. If the most westerly was “F” and the most easterly was “B” then F=1 and B=11. (*If* they were… which they weren’t). Given a numeric value for each letter you then substitute each letter into the formula N51 (H-H)(C+G-B).(K-L)(L-F)(J-D+C) E000 (D-E)(L+C-H).(A+B)(K-G)(J-F+E) and come up with a location either a short(ish) walk from home or somewhere out on the Romney Marsh, depending on whether you got it right or wrong.
I got it right…
I had hoped we might be walking past this geocache when we went to get the car from the garage in the afternoon. I won’t give any spoilers, but I will say that it would have involved a little more than the teensiest diversion. Luckily “er indoors TM suggested we drove out in her car on her lunch break to see if we might find it.
We did.
 
As we drove home so my phone rang. My car was ready. So pausing only briefly for a quick sandwich I got the dogs onto their leads again and off we went to get it.
We walked out past where my problem geocache was. I put out a new one on the footpath a few yards from the old one, and then a little later I replaced one of “er indoors TM’s geocaches which was missing.
Eventually we got to the garage and got the car. There’s no denying we drove home a lot faster than we drove out.
 
I spent an hour reading more “Game of Thrones” on my Kindle, and once “er indoors TM had boiled up dinner and gone bowling I sparked up Netflix and sat on the sofa amongst a swarm of dogs. As they snored I watched a film. “In Time” started off with an interesting premise; rather than having a cash-based economy, the currency of the society in the film was lifetime. Given enough time people could live forever. However this was just the basis for a police story with a difference… the difference being it was pretty much the same as every other police story that has ever been told. It descended into a sort-of sci-fi version of Bonnie and Clyde. Sadly despite being total paupers, Bonnie managed to have a complete change of wardrobe in every scene.
I watched it with a sense of déjà vu. Some of it seemed really familiar. Had I seen it before?
 
Today was rather busy; not a bad start to a week off work really.

No comments:

Post a Comment