10 October 2023 (Tuesday) - Rostered Day Off

Last night everyone was settled and I slept rather well. Over toast I had a peer into the Internet. There was a petty squabble about the price of full-sized Daleks on one of the Dalek building Facebook pages… Now that’s “one of the Dalek building Facebook pages”; there’s quite a few people into building daleks, and they are incredibly critical of each other. Other than that, there wasn’t a lot going on so I set off to town.
 
As I drove the pundits on the radio were talking about the ongoing situation in Gaza. The Foreign Secretary was being interviewed on the matter. It was quite plain that regardless of what was actually happening, the UK would side with the Israeli government and regard the Palestinians as Satan incarnate. Meanwhile the poor innocents on the ground suffer.
I got to town a tad early and had a little look around. The town has changed quite a bit since I last had a look. Ashford has a surprisingly large number of nail bars, international food suppliers, and vagrants begging.
I joined the queue outside Boots which was being entertained and disgusted (in seemingly equal measures) by a rather drunk young pair who were boasting about the strength of the cider they were swigging, and telling anyone who would listen that the pissed woman needed a new bandage for her knee. Apparently she’d smashed it rather badly when out on the piss the other day. She seemed unable to keep hold of the crutches which she was holding, and was falling over every time she dropped them. Interestingly when Boots opened their doors the drunks showed no interest in going inside, and seemed rather upset that they’d lost their captive audience.
 
I went in to the optician which is based there. I had photos taken of the insides of my eyes, had air blown into them, and read various letters of various sizes. After twenty minutes I was told my eyes were pretty much unchanged from last time and I didn’t really need new glasses. I was pleased about that.
I popped to Tesco for milk and pastries and came home. After a cuppa and a croissant I loaded the dogs into the car and we went up to Kings Wood for a walk. Kings Wood is odd in that there’s usually about twenty cars in the car park, but once you are more than a hundred yards from the car park if you see more than two other walkers, that’s a lot. Today we walked about three and a half miles (guesstimating from the step count) and saw one other walker with two dogs. Apart from Treacle wading in a swamp, the dogs were as good as gold; coming back when called and not upsetting the only other person we met.
 
We came home via the petrol station where I saw an old friend. Someone who had a baby at about the same time that “er indoors TM squeezedMy Boy TM” out. In the late eighties we were rather chummy… she didn’t recognize me at all when I smiled this lunchtime.
 
Once home I put a load of washing in to scrub, and whilst it scrubbed I wrote up some CPD. And with CPD written up I went into the garden and mowed the lawn, then sat by the pond reading more “Game of Thrones” on my phone’s Kindle app. As I read I watched the antics of a pigeon who was having a drink not four feet from where I was sitting.
I then dozed off for an hour or so…
Today was rather busy for a rostered day off. 

No comments:

Post a Comment