26 October 2023 (Thursday) - Banners Flying (Apparently)

I woke up at three o'clock this morning in need of a tiddle, rolled over and then slept through until quarter top six when I was seriously in need of a tiddle. But sleeping probably two hours more than yesterday was something of a result. I got up, had that tiddle, made toast and started on the seventh season of "Big Mouth" (which was quite entertaining) as I sorted the undercrackers which had tumble-dried.
And with telly watched I had my usual root around the Internet. The Facebook page for people who went to my old school was having something of a retrospective on one of the old maths teachers this morning. "Fred Bread" taught us maths for a year whilst I was at secondary school... Mind you when I say "taught us maths", I need to point out that our maths class was immediately after the morning break. Immediately before the morning break "Fred Bread" was teaching at the Priory Road school on the other side of town (our school had two branches), and immediately after the break he was supposed to be teaching us some three miles away. The chap flatly refused to travel during the break time and so consequently arrived twenty-five minutes late for every lesson with us. He would then spend most of the remaining lesson time grumbling about how he shouldn't be expected to travel in break time. Through his "expert tuition" I managed a twenty per cent score in the end of year exams, and much of the next year was spent with the next maths teacher amazed at how little we'd learned in the previous year.
I can remember a "Brains Trust" quiz competition as a fund raiser at school in which "Fred Bread" publicly asked "If you had a third hand, where would you put it?" and another teacher (who went on to become a vicar) replying (equally publicly) "punched down your throat" with quite some venom.
However most people offering an opinion this morning seemed to think that "Fred Bread" was perhaps the most able teacher of mathematics who ever lived. It is strange how people's recollections differ.
 
Pausing only briefly to be awarded the Munzee "Banners Flying" e-badge (what was that all about?) I set off through the rain up the motorway to Maidstone. As I set off my piss boiled somewhat. There was a lot of talk about how university students are running up such massive debts to pay their tuition and accommodation fees. I can't help but think that perhaps we (as a nation) might revisit higher education. What is it all about? Why do people run up massive debts studying the most random of subjects? Why not go down the old "apprenticeship" scheme and get degrees and qualifications which are relevant to your work and obtained as you work, the costs of which being paid as part of your wages? Like I did when I had six years working four days a week and going to various colleges on the fifth? I can remember conversations of years ago with friends who'd got degrees they weren't going to use, and with massive debts... who at the time were starting jobs effectively three years behind where they might have been.
 
There was a lot of other stuff on the radio this morning too, mostly about the ongoing war in Gaza. There was brief mention about developments in cosmology theories, but this was quite clearly considered (by those resenting the news) nowhere near as important as the latest antics of Ant & Dec. I didn't really pay that much attention to the radio; I must admit that most of my attention was on staying alive; driving up the dark motorway in the rain can be something of a challenge.
 
Work was work; I had a rather good day, but was still glad when home time came. Having got to work rather early in the hope of avoiding traffic light hold-ups I was stuck in the thick of them on the way home. I’ve grumbled about the mentality of people who organise the county’s traffic before, but you really would think that having one way to the hospital being blocked up would be enough, wouldn’t you? Do you *really* need road works on the other ways too?
 
I got home and fed the hounds, then “er indoors TM arrived with Darcie Waa Waa TM”. Daddy’s Little Angel TM” has gone down with the rona, and seriously needed a good night’s sleep.
Much as I do like having littlun to stay, she is hard work…

No comments:

Post a Comment