23 October 2023 (Monday) - Whinging

I had a rather good sleep last night - when the dogs are peaceful, so is everyone else. I made toast and watched more "Foundation" then had a quick look on-line. Periodically all those memes about "I'm here for you" and "if anyone needs a friend" appear on Facebook; quite often posted by those people who turned their backs when others really did need a friend. I'm afraid my piss boiled with a couple of them, and I had to stop myself embarking on a little name-and-shame session this morning. Am I being cynical in thinking that there is far more kudos to be had from appearing to be a friend than actually being one?
Probably.
No one seemed to be having a birthday this morning, and with no emails of note I got myself organised and set off to work.
 
As I drove the pundits on the radio were talking about how shoplifting locally is on the increase. This made me think. Shoplifting has always been a thing in the south east. In the late 1970s most of class 4B at school would take sweetie orders during the mornings and at lunchtime go to the local shop and nick that for which they had orders. After lunchtimes the local shop looked like the locusts had passed through. I can remember that after a week of this the headmaster announced that the local shops were out of bounds. I can remember this very distinctly; our total snob of a headmaster wasn't upset by the shoplifting but by the damage to the school's reputation.
And when “Daddy’s Little Angel TM” used to run a shop in Margate a few years back she and all the shops in the area used to close up at school chuck-out time because of the amount of stuff that would get pilfered.
It would seem that after forty years of this being commonplace the authorities have finally decided to do something about it. As well they should.
 
There was loads of other drivel on the radio too; over-runs of budgets on HS2, bombings the the middle east, George Harrison. I didn't really pay that much attention to the radio. I was concentrating on staying alive. With the motorway mostly three lanes from Ashford to Maidstone I'd sadly managed to coincide going up the motorway with the emptying of one of the ferries. You can always tell; there are miles of slow moving lorries in the motorway's slow lane and miles of lorries going about one mile per hour faster in the middle lane. Once I'd managed to get onto the motorway (the lorries don't like letting you on!) I had the choice of travelling in the slow lane at just under forty miles an hour, or in the fast lane with idiots only yards from the back bumper flashing their lights in their impatience no matter how fast I went.
 
Work was work; I got my pension form signed and witnessed and returned to management and then had a rather good day. And being on the early shift I got out early.
 
I drove home with good intentions of taking the dogs to Orlestone, but as I came down the motorway so the drizzle started. And then the tyre low pressure warning came on for all four tyres. Coming on for all four tyres isn’t as bad as just one coming on. If t is just one, then there’s probably a nail through it. All four going at the same time is just air slowly escaping over time (I hope!).
I got home, pumped up all four tyres, and ended up filthy. Back in the day I used to get equally grubby hands when tightening the chain on my motorbike, and back in the day I always had a tub of Swarfega in the house for the clean-up. Apparently the stuff is still going; I thought they went bust years ago. I shall have to get some; soap and a nail brush doesn’t come close to what the green stuff used to do.
Once I’d finally got my hands reasonably clean the drizzle had become full-on rain. The dogs weren’t overly keen on feeding the fish, so I quietly cancelled the walk round Orlestone with a clear conscience.
 
I wonder what’s for dinner?

No comments:

Post a Comment