20 October 2023 (Friday) - Wondering

I woke feeling particularly grim this morning, but that's nothing unusual these days. I got up, farted around, then made toast. Needing something new to watch on telly I started on the second season of "Foundation" on Apple TV. Despite being based on Asimov's famous series of books and despite being produced by Asimov's daughter, apart from the names of the main characters the show bears pretty much no relation whatsoever to the books. However, like so many other TV series, having watched the first season I really feel I need to see it through to the bitter end.
 
With telly tellied I set off to work. As I walked up the road I picked my way round the discarded emptied bins scattered across the pavement, walked past the bin men who were bellowing across the street at each other, and into the corner shop where there was quite the anti-bin men tirade going on. |I wasn't the only one who'd had to negotiate a rather tortuous route round the emptied bins they'd just flung. The local bin men aren't going to win any popularity contests.
 
I set off west-wards to work listening to the radio as I went. There was a lot of talk about the two by-elections yesterday in which the Conservatives had their arses handed to them on a plate as Labour won both in landslide victories.
Mind you it would seem this isn't any damning of government policy or glowing endorsement for the Labour party. The so-called expert who was wheeled on to discuss the matter seemed to think that the Labour victory was all about how the electorate fancy Sir Kier Starmer more than they fancy Rishi Sunak. And the observation was made that if that idiot Boris Johnson was still in power the Conservatives wouldn't have lost. For all that the bloke has been caught out in lie after lie,  the masses love him
There was talk about President Biden's trip to Israel and how he's trying to milk Congress for billions of dollars to give to the Israelis. And how faced with a new war in the Middle East, interest in the war in Ukraine is rapidly dwindling. Is war *really* something just to entertain the Western world? From what was said on this morning's radio it would seem so.
And then the fatuous windbag on the morning's "Thought For The Day" said not to really worry too much about what is going on in Gaza as God will sort it all out... one way or another. Like God has demonstrably sorted out so much else?
 
As I drove I was very conscious of the idiot who was not five yards from my rear bumper for pretty much the length of the A262. I also saw that the two cars which had gone through the hedges near Sissinghurst last night had been extricated, but the one which had come off the road just outside Biddenden last week was still in the hedge there. This made me wonder...
And I spent much of the day wondering.
 
Do I really want to keep making this journey? And is the trip to Maidstone *that* much easier? - on Monday I had to take a five-mile diversion to avoid the carnage at junction five of the motorway.
I left home this morning at seven o’clock and got home this evening at seven o'clock.And then parked three streets away as there wasn’t anywhere closer to park.
When I retire I might just knock hospital work on the head entirely.  There must be something else I could do... something that doesn't involve round trips of sixty miles every day and not getting home so late and not working nights and weekends.
I wonder what

No comments:

Post a Comment