19 November 2017 (Sunday) - Sutton at Hone

Another night spent awake being trampled by a restless puppy. Mind you I did chuckle when she fell off the bed (with a resounding crash) in the small hours.
I got up and let Fudge out to do his thing in the garden. He did it, came in and was sick. He then sat with me on the sofa looking rather sorry for himself. Eventually he ate some of his brekkie.

Over my brekkie I turned my lap-top on. Eventually the thing booted up. On when finally ready I tried to activate the Firefox browser. Yesterday I waited for three hours whilst Windows had an upgrade, and last week the Firefox browser decided to swap itself for a new version. I really should turn off these updates; they never improve performance. In fact they usually slow the lap-top quite noticeably.
When the thing finally got going I had a little look-see on-line. I started off by sending an apology to the chap whose post-wedding party I missed last night. From the photos posted it looks like I missed a good party; I didn’t go as there was a certain person on the guest list was going. She fell out with me about five years ago when I dared to voice an opinion. Over the last few years she’s made a point of marching up to whoever I was talking to, and standing with her back to me and speaking to whoever I was just speaking with. I’ve yet to find anyone who isn’t so intimidated by her that they will say anything. When this has happened I’ve made sarcastic comments but she completely blanked me every time and it just got embarrassing.
It was one of the main reasons why I finally gave up with the astro club, and now avoid any situation where she might be present. Really I should tell her to get stuffed…

I then had a little snigger when I looked at the local geocaching page. One chap was whinging about the price of nanos (it’s a geo-thing) and had brought a job lot of a hundred of the things. He was offering them up for sale at a pound each plus a pound for postage. Making them two quid each.
I didn’t like to say you can buy the things far cheaper on eBay. I did just that this morning.

We got ourselves and the dogs together, and once we’d scraped the ice from "er indoors TM" car we set off to Sutton at Hone. (No – I’d never heard of it before either) Not knowing where this place was didn’t bother our sat-navs, and soon we met up with Karl, Tracey and Charlotte and we set off round the “It’s all Greek to me” series of geocaches. We started off along a rather busy road, but soon headed off into the countryside. As we went we had an impromptu geology lesson, and talked how Fermat’s last theorem helped us solve a puzzle (as you do). We met a normal person wandering about in his slippers, we laughed as Fudge chewed a fence, we found a fox graveyard.
We had a dodgy few minutes as we met some rather over-friendly horses. Treacle didn’t like them, and nearly nipped one on the nose.
Billed as a walk of at least seven miles, “Hannah” measured it at a shade under eight miles. Once we were back to the cars we changed out of muddy boots and went to “The Ship” for a post-walk debrief.
I must admit that my heart sunk when we walked into “The Ship”; it was clearly a “local pub for local people”, but the beer was good, and the staff and locals were very friendly. We stayed for a second pint, and in a novel break with tradition I made it all the way home without needing to stop for a tiddle.

Geocache-wise we had a full day. We set off in search of forty-two targets. We found thirty-seven. We knew three had been reported as missing and so having discussed this with the chap who’d hidden them in the first place, we replaced them for him. There were two we couldn’t find; they were overlooked by houses and so we didn’t hang about for long as the normal people were watching us.

I forgot to take my camera today, so I took several photos using my phone. Once home I uploaded them, and then with "er indoors TM" off bowling I settled myself in front of the telly as my dogs snored. Sir David Attenborough’s “Blue Planet II” is on shortly, and after that is “Howards’ End”. I saw the first episode of “Howards’ End” last week. It was rather like “Poldark” but didn’t have quite so many heaving bosoms. Mind you, that was only the first episode. Things might perk up tonight.
Hope springs eternal…


No comments:

Post a Comment