30 April 2023 (Sunday) - Badlesmere, Pond

I woke to find “er indoors TMsleeping at the bottom of the bed. Apparently she too had had problems claiming bed space from sleeping dogs. It’s unlike her to take any lip from the pups, though.
I got up, put a load of washing on, made toast and had a look at the Internet. I had two more friend requests from rather dubious young ladies. The first one didn’t say anything at all about herself on her profile. I expect she was letting her chest do the taking. From a purely objective point of view, she had a rather impressive chest, If I had one like that I too would brandish it with similar wanton abandon.
From a chest perspective the second one didn’t come close, and (to be fair to her) she wasn’t trying to compete. However she had a whip so she meant business. She was also wearing waders. My father had a pair that he used when he went shrimping.
I sent out some birthday wishes, and then sighed. Someone had posted a photo from a bookshop in Hastings. A book I once had (in the mid 1970s) was up for sale for a hundred and fifty quid. There were quite a few people posting “how much!!!” but I had a look on eBay and on collector’s sites. It is ironic to think that something I once had and chucked out is now worth a small fortune.
Also in Hastings (well, a Hastings-related Facebook group) were photos of the Memorial. If you’ve ever driven through Hastings “the Memorial” is the pedestrian area with all the traffic lights where up until 1970 there was a memorial to Prince Albert. It was demolished in 1970 after a fire. One or two locals were demanding the demolition of the pedestrian area and the re-building of the Memorial. Hastings-based Facebook groups are full of spur of the moment complaints about the local council coming from people who wouldn’t dream of getting off their arse to do anything themselves.
 
We got ourselves and the dogs organized and drove out to Badlesmere where we met Karl and Tracey, and wandered round “er indoors TM series of geocaches. She sorted out any issues; I took a few photos. And with walk walked we had a rather good pub dinner and I slept all the way home.
 
Bearing in mind the weather forecast for tomorrow wasn’t overly good, I got busy in the garden. First of all I ran out the hose pipe, set up the fish pond filter cleaning arrangement and scrubbed out the two filters that I took out on Wednesday.
I then buried the cable for the new filter under a paving slab, and landscaped a rockery behind the pond’s splash pool..
And then I dismantled the cascade I built last August Bank Holiday.
 
With jobs done I looked at the pond and had a little think and reviewed the situation with the pond. A year ago I had a rather huge filter box that wasn’t really cleaning the water, looked awful and was far too heavy for me to clean out without knacking my back. So over last summer I replaced it with two smaller filter boxes. That was over three hundred quid on something which bunged up with fish poo really quickly. looked even worse than that which it had replaced, and didn’t clean the water either. So I got a load of paving slabs and landscaping to hide the new boxes and built a cascade. Four hundred quid on something which looked frankly dreadful and leaked.
The filter I installed last Wednesday (together with the cleaning hoses) was the two hundred quid I should have spent in the first place.
 
I’ve now got the pond clear, which was the object of the exercise. The area above the splash pool is far from perfect, but is a vast improvement on what it was. I can tinker with that over the next few weeks. It needs more big rocks, but at a fiver a throw I might wait for a while. Especially as I have effectively wasted seven hundred quid on that pond over the last year.
Now that the old filters are scrubbed out I really need to look at selling them (if I can).
If an of my loyal readers have got any rocks they don’t want…
 
I really ache now… rather than taking my time, this afternoon I did everything on my list for tomorrow. I really should slow down when it comes to shifting heavy rocks about.

No comments:

Post a Comment