12 April 2023 (Wednesday) - An Afternoon Off


I didn't really sleep last night. I woke at twenty past two, and then found myself looking at the clock every fifteen minutes wondering what the time was. I eventually gave up with this rather tedious pursuit and got up.
As I shaved I filled the bath with water. I had this idea about hydrostatic pressure (science!). The theory was that if I filled the bath with water then gave the plughole a vigorous plunging, the weight of water would wash away any blockage. After a bit of farting around and backflow coming up the sink I eventually got a rather good whirlpool going on out of the problematical plughole.
Has it done the trick? Here’s hoping.
Not fancying a Slimfast shake I made toast and watched another episode of “Shameless” which wasn’t too shabby, if only because the leading ladies were “flopping them out”.
Call me an old traditionalist if you will…
 
I left for work a little earlier than I might have done, and took the opportunity to cap twelve jewels in Coulter Road (it’s a Munzee thing) before heading off up the motorway.
As I drove the pundits on the radio were talking about President Biden’s visit to Ireland. It would seem that most people were waiting for him to say something utterly tasteless as he seems to have a talent for doing that.
Meanwhile ex-President Trump was telling anyone who would listen about his arrest earlier this week, and claiming that all the officials he dealt with were apologizing to him and crying because they felt he was the innocent party. I’ve mentioned before that I know very little first-hand about Donald Trump, but that which I do hear of him reminds me of some of the younger cubs scouts who I used to herd about.
Between made-up boasts and tactless comments, doesn’t America have a better choice for a leader?
 
I got to work and (yet again) found myself watching the weather. It was mostly glorious sunshine with blue skies, but every twenty minutes or so this was interspersed with black skies and torrential rain.
I’d booked the afternoon off as originally “er indoors TM wasn’t going to be in for the pups today, but her plans changed. So I came home early and walked the dogs round Singleton Lake looking for locations for my latest geocaching Adventure Lab plan.
I had planned to then take the dogs with me and go for a rather epic walk whilst the car got serviced, but with the morning’s rain showers forecast to get worse, I let them be content with the walk round the lake and left them with “er indoors TM”.
 
I drove round to the Skoda garage and had a really good couple of hours. I just sat peacefully in the waiting area with no one else around. I read my Kindle for a bit, I dozed. I enjoyed the quiet.
And as I sat quietly I looked at the wind and rain outside. I was right not to have had a long dog walk this afternoon.
After a couple of hours my car was done, and I drove home through the hail. There are those who say I pay over the odds by going to the main dealer… it has been my experience that the main dealers charge no more than the other garages, and on a couple of occasions the garages I’ve been to haven’t been able to do whatever it is that the main dealers do. And the smaller garages don’t seem to have the availability either.
 
I came home, and spent an hour or so putting together the words and pictures for my geocaching Adventure Lab project.
“er indoors TM sorted a rather good dinner and bearing in mind today was her first day in her new job we cracked open a bottle of plonk…

No comments:

Post a Comment