18 April 2023 (Tuesday) - Out for Dinner

I woke about half past three and found both puppies snuggled up tightly against me. I moved them both back a couple of inches, and in their sleep they just snuggled back again. Bearing in mind there are far worse things in life than a sleeping puppy (or two) I let them be.  I dozed through till five o'clock when I got up, had a serious coughing fit, made toast (cooked properly today!) and watched an episode of "Shameless" which was rather good. How did I ever miss it first time round?
 
I then had to make a decision. Was I going to phone in sick? Perhaps I should have done, but I didn't. In the past when I've phoned in sick I've moped and sulked t home, whereas if I go in to work I just get on with it and feel... if not better, perhaps not as grotty as if I'd stayed at home.
Fortunately I'd got a parking space right outside the house last night so I didn't have far to go to find the car. I set off, rolling my eyes at the morning news. Apparently power companies are going to face restrictions about exactly on whom they can force pre-payment meters; the implication being that you can't cut certain people off.
Why not?
Whilst I don't think for one minute anyone should be cut off, *if* we are going to run what should be public services as profit making businesses then people have to pay for them. Why should one person be freely given that for which someone else (me!) has to pay?
Or maybe (in a better world) it is time to realise that selling off the nation's infrastructure for a quick profit was a silly idea (like we all said it was) and look at a better way of providing public services?
And following hot on the heels of his predecessor our Prime Minister Rishi Sunak is facing all sorts of allegations that his wife is profiting out of government money being given to childcare firms. Perhaps it is time to re-think the way childcare is done in the country, and the money allocated to childcare is actually spent on childcare rather than on profits for the ultra-rich?
And then I rolled my eyes again as the pundits on the radio talked about moves afoot in Parliament to give officialdom the ability to snoop into private internet-based messages.
There are all sorts of reasons why this might be a good idea. Clamping down on criminals, stopping the sharing of paedophilic pictures... BUT (as the expert being interviewed pointed out), messages are encrypted, or they are not. You can't choose which ones are readable by MI5 and which aren't. The public wants a message service that can be guaranteed to be only read by the sender and the recipient.
And the tech firms aren't keen on this idea either. Will WhatsApp *really* pull out of the UK?
And then I found myself having a little blub about my Fudge-dog who died two years ago. What brought that on?
 
I eventually got to work. Two more miles of the M20 had been reduced to two lanes overnight. There are *miles* of slow lane cordoned off with absolutely no one at all working on it. If anyone tells you that "Operation Brock"  isn't in use, tell them to go have a look.
 
I got to work and sent the night shift home. He was glad I'd soldiered in; he would have had to stay an extra hour had I not. As I worked I got an email asking me to take part in a competition for NHS staff and volunteers to share (through photos) their unique stories.
It wasn't that long since even mentioning on social media that you worked for the NHS was a disciplinary matter, as I have whinged many times before.
 
I had a good day, but was still glad when home time arrived. I drove home and dozed until “er indoors TM was ready. We then drove down to Folkestone. Leaving  Daddy’s Little Angel TM” doing dull housework we took “Stormageddon – Bringer of Destruction TMand  Darcie Waa Waa TM out for tea.
First of all to McDonalds. You can’t beat McDinner (as I have often said). I’ve not been to the Folklestone town centre McDonalds in the evenings before. It was surreal. There were several tables of surly schoolgirls, the girls on each table all sharing one small bag of fries (and making them last!). Have these kids nothing better to do?
Rather than having McPudding we then went on to the Wetherspoons and had dessert there.
It filled a couple of hours and gave the most recent fruit of my loins a little break.
We shall do this again. Soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment