17 April 2023 (Monday) - A Pressure Filter ?

I had a better night's sleep last night. It would have been far better had Bailey not been trampling all over me. For a very small dog she is surprisingly heavy when she treads on your "flowers and frolics" in the small hours. But for all that I slept reasonably well, I was wide awake at five o'clock. I thought about phoning in sick, but I just don't phone in sick unless I really have to. I'm silly like that. 
I got up and made toast. Recently the toaster has been incinerating the toast; today it came out floppy. Making a decent bit of toast isn't easy. If I was brave enough I'd kick “er indoors TM out of bed to boil it up for me.
But I'm not.
 
This morning's episode of "Shameless" was spoiled for me by the casting. The actor who plays "Spudgun" from "Bottom" was playing a rather nasty debt-collector. Bearing in mind that "Spudgun" is an amiable idiot I really couldn't relate to him playing a nasty character.
I then had a quick look at the pond. The water level seemed pretty much what it was yesterday afternoon, which was something of a result. Mind you the pond didn't look very clear...
 
I made my way to where I'd left the car; weaving my way through the four epic holes in the pavement that had been dug a couple of weeks ago and set off to work.  As I drove to work the pundits on the radio were interviewing some opinionated woman or other who was seriously slagging off OFSTED. The body has no end of failings, not least of which (she said) was a shortage of experienced inspectors.
As I drove up the motorway there was also talk of the Prime Minister's scheme to ensure that everyone gets maths lessons until they are eighteen years old... regardless of the fact that there aren't enough teachers.
And the government was being criticized for the shortage of doctors too.
How do we address these shortages? Conscription? It worked in the navy two hundred years ago. Should the current policy of allowing people to choose their own jobs continue if people aren't choosing to do the jobs that the country needs? (!)
 
During a lull at work I phoned Kent County Council's highways department to have a whinge about the four epic holes in the pavement of our road that I'd walked past today. No one can dig a hole in the road without the say-so of Kent County Council; someone at the council had given Southern Gas Networks a permit to dig the holes because of "an emergency". This permit lasts from the thirtieth of last month until next Tuesday.
I was also told that if someone says they are having an emergency then the county council believes them and gives them carte blanche to dig whatever holes they want wherever they want. There really seems to be very little actual control of what is going on road-works-wise.
If I wanted to know more about the specifics of the holes in question, the nice lady suggested that I might contact Southern Gas Networks directly.
So I did. I sent them an email saying that I wouldn't mind so much if they hadn't obliterated a quarter of the street's parking spaces, but digging four holes in the road and leaving them unsupervised with no work being done for over two weeks could hardly be construed as an emergency.
I suspect that after a few days they will email me to tell me to get stuffed.
 
As I drove home I had a stroke of genius (I have those from time to time). I need to re-think the filtration system again; the two small filters that I installed last year just aren't doing it. I remembered that the people who used to be nice-next-door three neighbours ago once gave me a pond pressure filter. After a bit of a rummage I found it in the shed, and spent an hour looking it up on the internet and taking it apart and generally finding that the thing is actually fit for the dustbin. But after that hour I’d learned a lot. I asked opinion on the Ponds UK Facebook page, and people seem to favour pressure filters over the arrangement that I use.
A pressure filter? Could be the way forward with the pond?  I bet they ain’t cheap.

No comments:

Post a Comment