24 April 2023 (Monday) - So Dull...

 

I woke feeling rather grotty. Having shifted one cold I seem to have acquired another.
I made toast, watched an episode of "Shameless" then thought about phoning in sick, but decided against it. Perhaps I should have done so?
 
I set off cross-country to Pembury; have you driven along the A28 out of Ashford recently? You wouldn't believe the amount of new houses that have been built recently. Mind you talking to young colleagues, they all want a new house. No one wants to buy an old house these days.
As I drove the pundits on the radio were talking about "Storm Ulysses”; a storm from 1903. Researchers have taken meteorological observations from that time , plugged them into the computers, used this data to make weather forecasts of what might have happened after Storm Ulysses nd compared it with what actually happened. And (would you believe it?) found there is stuff to be learned from looking at the historical record.
Is this so amazing? If you are going to try to guess the future based on the past, surely you need as much historical information as you can possibly get? Ans trying to predict what actually happened is probably a rather good way to test your theories. It strikes me that the only question here is why has it taken so long for weather forecasters to realise the patently obvious? I would say "are they thick or what" but bearing in mind their demonstrable failure to do their job...
There was also a lot of talk about the political situation in Sudan with about a thousand British citizens stuck in a war zone. Mind you it would seem that Sudan has quite a history of coups going on.
I wouldn't want to go there.
And it would seem that vaccination uptake by UK teenagers is at a low with more and more people subscribing to crackpot anti-vax theories rather than to proven fact.
 
I got to Pembury and popped into Tesco for some odds and ends. Tesco there has succumbed to the self-service checkout craze. It was a shame that the machines simply didn't work. If I can find another supermarket that is in a convenient location, I shall start taking my money there... or my credit card as Tesco’s self-service checkouts don't seem to like cash.
 
Work was too much like hard work for my liking, but an early start making for an early finish is rarely a bad thing. I drove home through torrential rain. The dogs flatly refused to walk up the garden with me to feed the pond fish, so I took tat as a walk being out of the question.
Instead I downloaded bank statements and had a look at the monthly accounts. For some reason the payment for the puppies’ healthcare plan wasn’t taken out last month. I chased that up with the vets; all seems to be in order at their end. I wonder what’s going on there?
 
“er indoors TM sorted dinner then went bowling. I settled in front of the telly and tried not to fall asleep…
Some days in my life are really good (like Saturday two days ago), and some (like today) are just dull.

No comments:

Post a Comment