5 April 2023 (Wednesday) - A Glass of Hock

 

After one of the worst nights I've had for a long time (and that's up against some pretty stiff competition) I gave up trying to sleep. Over a brekkie of Slimfast choccie shake I sparked up the telly and put something new on Netflix... I say "new" - "Shameless" is nearly twenty years old. It is one of those many shows I've been meaning to watch for some time. The first episode was rather good. Here's hoping for the rest being in the same vein.
 
Pausing only briefly to scrape the ice from my car I set off on a mini-Munzee mission. I capped fourteen points of interest and then headed work-wards. As I drove there was loads of talk on the radio about the upcoming local government elections. Apparently the Green Party is looking set to do well across the country... presumably because public confidence in the Conservatives is on the low side (to say the least), the Labour Party has nothing to say for itself other than that they (probably) aren't as bad as the Conservatives, and the Dribbling Democraps had their chance and blew it big-time. Will the Greens be any good? Who knows. Locally they came in last place in the most recent elections, but with only a twenty-eight per cent turn-out, it is all to play for. Mind you, locally the Green Party isn't so much a political movement as something of a clique which you are either "in" or you are not. But as I've said before, we get the councilors we deserve. If I'm not standing for election, can I really complain about that which is done (or not done) by those who are making the effort to stand?
As I drove in to the works car park so some vicar was spouting utter crap on the "Thought for the Day" bit. She started off laughing at long-established science, and then tried to present her superstitious claptrap as a self-evident truth.
I was surprised that the BBC allowed her to present laughable nonsense as being more plausible than proven fact. But that's what vicars do, isn't it? It bothers me that today, in the third decade of the twenty-first century, people still believe in religious mumbo-jumbo which after only a moment's thought is immediately exposed as wrong in every respect. How is this possible?
I can't help but think that the righteous have persisted by being just that; "righteous". In claiming the moral high ground, the righteous have put their laughable fairy stories on a par with doing the decent thing. In the public perception morality goes hand-in-hand with religion. It is such a shame that the general public don't seem to realise that "doing the decent thing" is something which is proper and correct in its own right. It doesn't need to be done because of fear of retribution in a hypothetical afterlife, or out of a sense of sucking up to the Almighty.
 
Work was work. Something of a dull day I suppose. I regaled the trainees with tales of the Forssman antigen; antibodies to which are diagnostic of glandular fever . Both antigens are present on the red blood cells of horse and sheep but guinea pig kidney cells have only the Forssman antigen. Back in the day we used to mix human blood with mashed guinea pig kidney and horses' blood if we suspected glandular fever. How times have changed.
I spent much of the afternoon wondering about how the viewing of Dad's house was going. Two different people were going to have a look at it today. Dad's house hasn't been on the market for two weeks; am I being impatient in wondering why it hasn't sold yet?
With this in mind I found myself laughing at Kent Online. They don't have much of a reputation in the local Facebook newsgroups. They are now claiming that house prices are rocketing in coastal towns in Kent. They certainly don't seem to be doing that across the border in Sussex.
 
“er indoors TM boiled up a rather good bit of dinner which we washed down with a bottle of Sainsbury’s Hock as we watched a few episodes of “Richard Osman’s House of Games”.
 
The bottle of Hock has compounded the poor night’s sleep. I’m knackered… But not as knackered as the shedder which “er indoors TM has just poggered. The poor thing was making some very odd noises… it’s not making any noise at all now…

No comments:

Post a Comment