21 April 2023 (Friday) - Eid

I went to the loo at three o’clock this morning, and then came back to a pitched battle with a small dog (I think it was Morgan) who had claimed the warm space I’d vacated and wasn’t keen on giving it up. I managed to nod off again, but woke in something of a panic after a rather vivid nightmare in which I’d been appointed the NHS’s ambassador to the Open University with a remit from the Minister for Health to “show those beardie weirdos who’s boss”.
I made toast, watched another episode of “Shameless” then decided against looking at the Internet too much. Spoilers for the last episode of “Star Trek: Picard” abounded.

I set off to work through the rain. As I drove the pundits on the radio had absolutely nothing at all to say about Elon Musk’s Starship; the biggest rocket ever made which blew up four minutes after launch yesterday. Instead they were wittering on about Elephant Seals which apparently dive three hundred metres down into the ocean to have a bit of a kip. Odd how a sleeping seal is more newsworthy than an exploding space rocket.
It was also claimed that the poor performance of some part of the economy had been blamed on weather;
persistent rain in March had put people off of going to the shops.
How does that work?
I go to the shops when I need something. Whether I need something or not really has nothing at all to do with the weather (unless it’s wet weather clothing!) When I got to work I mentioned this. A colleague then piped up that he and his wife regularly go to Ashford’s outlet centre at the weekends and spend hundreds of pounds on stuff they don’t want. Apparently they find they have nothing else to do at the weekends (!)

I walked into the blood bank to find an envelope. Labelled “FAO all blood bank staff and admin – find your name inside and open” it contained a load of slips of paper. Each one was addressed to one of us, and had a rather lovely few lines about the person to whom it was addressed, all signed by “anonymous”.
There was a lot of speculation about who “anonymous” was, and what it was all about. The general opinion was that it was an “Eid thing”; we had samosas and spring rolls brought in today in honour of Eid.

“er indoors TM sorted a rather good bit of dinner which we watched whilst watching the last episode of “Star Trek: Picard”. I was glad I’d managed to avoid most of the spoilers.
And I won’t give any here… but I will say that when you watch it, watch it all the way to the very end. There’s a little scene after the end credits.

No comments:

Post a Comment