29 April 2023 (Saturday) - And Another Late Shift

I slept reasonably well I suppose, but was awake earlier than I might have liked. I made toast, and as always looked at a rather dull Internet. Pretty much nothing at all had happened overnight, which was a shame. No squabbles or petty backbiting… all rather dull.
However I had an email to say that the twenty metres of hose for cleaning out the new pond filter had been dispatched. I must admit I wasn’t happy. I ordered through Amazon because Amazon will deliver it to my door. However the seller (that *wasn’t* actually Amazon) had posted it using Royal Mail, and from bitter experience I know that Royal Mail aren’t averse to driving past the house, claiming I wasn’t in, and expecting me to go to some obscure depot miles away. But in readiness for when the hose arrives, I watched some You-Tube videos about cleaning the filter. It looks straightforward enough… here’s hoping.
 
Being a Saturday morning we took the dogs round to Dog Club. There was a rather good turn-out, but everyone stayed at the top of the field; no one ventured down into the swamp. I took a few photos as I do.
We came home, had a cold cross bun and a cuppa, and then I set off to work a little earlier than I might have done. As I'd scoffed my cold cross bun I'd seen a photo on the Facebook Garden Ponds (UK) group which had given me an idea. I was planning to do a bit of landscaping round the pond tomorrow anyway, and having seen this piccie I needed (wanted) some flattish rocks.
I thought I'd have time to pop to Bybrook Barn to get some.
The roads were heaving and what I thought would be a five minute drive took me half an hour. I got to Bybrook Barn and ended up asking the staff to make an announcement over the loudspeakers. In all honesty there couldn't have been more than three or four people in the place who actually realised that they weren't the only customers in the place. People were blundering about, randomly stopping for no reason whatsoever, and crashing head-on into other shoppers as though they were invisible. The chap on the counter agreed with me; they really did need to be told to open their eyes and look at the world around them. But (he admitted) he wasn't brave enough to tell them.
And then when I got to the tills there was some chap who was trying to push in at every till despite his wife telling him he had to join the queues like everyone else had done.
 
There's no denying that my piss was boiling as I drove out of the car park; it cooled as I sang along (very loudly) to Ivor Biggun songs.
Pausing only briefly in Sissinghurst for a steak and stilton pasty I was soon at work.
There’s no denying that I sulked as I worked today. I had planned to go to the Kent Lego Show in Medway today.
And failing that I could have rallied the troops to go to the London Calling geocaching event.
I could have spent time swimming with the grandchildren.
Instead I was working.

No comments:

Post a Comment