26 October 2021 (Tuesday) - Bake Off Day

I slept well last night; when the dogs are settled, so am I.

I made toast, and scoffed it whilst watching the last episode of the second season of “Star Trek: Lower Decks” which was surprisingly good for a cartoon which just takes the piss out of the show. With a few minutes to spare I had a look at the Internet. One of the fishing pages I follow on Facebook had posted a weather forecast, and one or two people were lambasting them for it. Apparently fishing-related Facebook pages should stick to what they are set up for…. Some people just look for arguments.

I sent out a quick birthday message and set off and walked seemingly miles to where I'd left the car. I really do think it is time to move house - somewhere a tad smaller with off-road parking. It's a shame “er indoors TM” isn't interested.

 

Getting round the dustbin lorry in Brookfield Road took some time, but before too long I was on the way to work. The pundits on the radio were talking about tomorrow's budget; not so much the details of the budget (which are apparently now common knowledge) but about why they are common knowledge. The Speaker of the House of Commons has got the arse because the newspapers have heard the budget plans before the House of Commons did. He's even alluded to Hugh Dalton who in 1947 resigned as Chancellor of the Exchequer because he blabbed to the newspapers before talking to Parliament.

It just strikes me as being yet another example of what a redundant institution the House of Commons really is. Take for example the recent scandal about raw sewage being dumped in our rivers. Parliament wasted time debating it. The House of Lords also wasted time debating it. Then all the MPs voted the way their party leaders told them to vote, and the government got to do what it had been planning all along because that's the way the House of Commons, the House of Lords and the Government operate.

Time for a new way of running the country, perhaps?

 

I got to work just as it was getting light and smiled at the security guards... Does a hospital *really* need a security force? Seriously?

But we had cake today. I say cake - we had shortbread biscuits. But they were excellent. The young lady who'd made them had her contestant knocked out of last week's episode of "Bake Off" and so she had to make cakes (or biccies) for us all. I must have missed the “Bake Off” draw, but there's too many of us at work to all be in it. And not being in the draw means I get to scoff the cakes without having to make any. Win-Win!!

 

Being on an early I got to come home whilst it was still light, and I took the dogs to the co-op field for a little play… Or that was the plan. As we got there so two other dogs were waiting to come out. They were accompanied by a rather dopey-looking teenager who was seemingly staring into space, utterly oblivious of the world around him.

Treacle started snarling at these other dogs and immediately Pogo flew at them. I yanked him back and forced both dogs into the sit position. I had this naïve idea that the grinning half-wit with the dogs would walk his dogs away and we might then go into the co-op field. Unfortunately the grinning half-wit just stood and grinned, and after a few seconds Treacle started growling which set Pogo off. I saw red and yanked them both back and loudly told them that they had had their chance, blown it, and were going home. At this point the grinning half-wit seemed to wake up, realised what was going on and said that he would get his dogs out of the way. I told him that his idea might have worked ten minutes previously and that we would try again tomorrow.

I marched the dogs home in disgrace; I was furious with them both… well – furious with Treacle. Again to anyone watching it seemed that Pogo was the villain of the piece, but in reality he was taking his lead from Treacle’s reaction. He doesn’t have a problem with other dogs all the time his sister is happy. But she has taken a dislike to pretty much all the other dogs on the planet.

 

We came home and the time we could have spent playing in the co-op field was instead spent doing CPD. As I wrote stuff which was dull in the extreme, poor Pogo sat on the sofa looking at me realising I was cross. But I wasn’t cross with him. What wound me up was that the dog who had spoiled our walk was blissfully unaware that she’d done anything wrong and was laying next to him sleeping the sleep of the just.

 

“er indoors TM” came home and boiled up a very good bit of dinner which we scoffed whilst watching this week’s episode of “Bake Off”. I won’t say who lost, but I will say that whoever it was that lost means that someone at work will be bringing in cake at some point over the next week. Result.

As I write this, Treacle is cuddled up on the sofa next to me… I’m still cross with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment