20 October 2021 (Wednesday) - Missing Out (?)

I was sleeping like a log when I awoke to the sound of the rain on the window. Somehow the rain manages to hit our bedroom window louder than it seems to hit any other window on the planet. When it finally abated I nodded off for ten minutes until the rain started again.

Eventually I conceded that the rain was going to win this battle and I got up to find we'd run out of peanut butter. Not even a dose of "Star Trek: Lower Decks" could chirp me up after that.

 

I got ready for work hoping that the rain might subside enough for me to get to the car without getting *too* wet. It didn't.

As I drove through a very dark and wet morning the pundits on the radio were interviewing someone or other about the crisis facing the nation's care homes. A government whose underlying principle is the free market was rather surprised to find that care workers are leaving the caring professions in droves because they get more money working elsewhere. I've said before that I wonder why anyone would spend six years training to qualify as a blood tester when they can get fifty per cent more money driving a train after spending less than a tenth as long in training.

There were also claims from the leaders of the country's health care providers to get the country back into some sort of lockdown as COVID infection rates are going through the roof. Does this mean the vaccines aren't working, or (as I suspect) not enough people are taking the vaccines. It was mentioned this morning that only a third of the nation's over seventies have signed up for their COVID booster.

 

I got to work early as I so often do.  I have always found that if I get to the roundabout on the A21 at Lamberhurst before eight o'clock then I have a straight six-mile drive to Pembury, but if I get there after eight o'clock them I am stuck in a six-mile traffic jam. I got there at ten to eight this morning and so drove straight to work. And with time to spare I went to the canteen for the cooked breakfast.

 

Work was surprisingly busy, but I felt old. None of my colleagues had heard of WIlly Wonka or the theme to "Goldfinger" when I mentioned that the chap who had written them (Leslie Bricusse) had died today.  And none of them knew who I was talking about when I mentioned that Jane (out of Rod, Jane and Freddie) had a birthday today and (can you believe it!) the names of Bungle, Zippy, George and Geoffrey just got a sea of blank faces too.

They’ve missed out on so much…

No comments:

Post a Comment