24 June 2021 (Thursday) - Bit Tired

The night shift wasn’t bad (as night shifts go). As I drove home the pundits on the radio were clucking about how Russian jets have been buzzing the British naval ship HMS Defender in the Black Sea. When you consider that HMS Defender is supposedly on its way to aggravate the Chinese, you have to wonder what it was doing in the Black Sea if not trying to provoke an argument. Two minutes looking at a map shows that the Black Sea isn’t on the way to China. It’s a bit like me popping in to the nearest pub when on the way to Tesco… which probably explains exactly why HMS Defender is in the Black Sea.

There was also a lot of talk about John McAfee who had been found dead in a Spanish prison. He was apparently awaiting extradition to America where he faced charges of tax evasion. I would have thought that someone who pioneered anti-virus software would have been quite “normal”, but apparently he believed all sorts of conspiracy theories. It was alleged that it was paranoia that fuelled his anti-virus research, and one chap being interviewed implied that Mr McAfee actually created quite a few computer viruses himself to give grounds for his paranoia. Did he? I don’t know, but they were queuing up to dish the dirt on the chap this morning.

 

I got home, and went to bed where I slept until mid-day. Over a rather late brekkie I saw I had an email from the local council. What did I think of my last trip to the tip? I suppose it was good of them to ask – I suggested they might do away with appointments and just let people get rid of their rubbish when they’ve got rubbish to get rid of, rather than having it kicking round in the way for a week or so (asking to be fly-tipped). And I also saw that the local council were asking (on their Facebook page) how they can make Ashford safer. I suggested getting rid of these silly l.e.d. street lights that haven’t delivered what was promised and don’t actually light the streets at all. I wonder if the council will take any notice of me. Somehow I doubt it.

 

I then took the dogs for a little walk up to the co-op field and back again. As we walked so Pogo tiddled every few steps. That set me off… that was Fudge’s influence. When Pogo first came to stay with us he would do one epic tiddle per walk. He learned from Fudge to spread it out and do a couple of drops, every couple of steps, for miles.

As we went up Christchurch Road there was an intense smell of gas. There was a British Gas van in attendance, but the two chaps (in British Gas tabards) both seemed for more intent on peering at their phones than they did on dealing with any leak.

We got to the co-op field, and had a good time. Some of the time Treacle ran with Pogo, some of the time she bimbled on her own. But she didn’t stay glued to my side like she did at the woods yesterday. She is so much more confident when Pogo is around.

 

I then spent a little while looking at the household accounts. Having accounted for every penny I spent last month I think it is fair to say I spent a lot of pennies. A car service costing twice as much as I had expected on top of dear little Sid’s final expenses had cost quite a bit more than I might have hoped to have spent. But there it is. I need a car to get to work, and Sid had been with the family for so long that I wasn’t going to skimp on him. And I’m not *that* skint really. After all, what is money for if not to squander foolishly?

 

I did the ironing whilst watching episodes of “Four In A Bed”. I do like that show, but I have to wonder if they decide in advance who is going to be the villain of the piece before they start. This afternoon we had some old biddy actively finding fault with absolutely everything she could. If someone had given her a million quid she would have complained that she wanted two million. And they don’t compare like with like in that show. In today’s show a B&B (in a country village) which I’ve driven past many times on the way to work was pitted against a hotel (charging over twice the price) on Brighton sea front. 

er indoors TM” boiled up a very good bit of dinner which we washed down with a rather good bottle of red wine (hic!) whilst watching this week’s episode of “Bake Off: The Professionals”. I could have been a top-class chef… (!)

No comments:

Post a Comment