21 July 2021 (Monday) - Back to Work

After something of a restless night I made toast, and as yet another negative COVID test cooked so I watched an episode of “Inside No 9“ before having a little look-see at the Internet.

Something that caught my eye was the “sexier than a squirrel  challenge being advertised on Facebook. It promised to have dogs stop pulling on their leads in just three weeks. I was up for that until I clicked the link and saw it was some American-based thing for which I only had to pay thirty quid (!) That can go whistle. Other than that there wasn’t anything else happening on Facebook. There was a new geocache sort-of on the way to work. I suppose I *could* have gone for the First to Find, but thought better of it.

 

I put on my new trousers and set off to work. I walked out to my car. Despite a ninety-four per cent chance of rain (according to the BBC) it was a dry morning. Clearly reality was in error.

As I drove up the motorway the pundits on the radio were talking about a report to be released by the US government some time soon which is supposed to address the issue of what UFOs actually are. The report is expected to be  rather vague, as you might expect. Personally I can't see UFOs being down to aliens. I rather suspect UFOs are the work of the Russians and the Chinese deliberately winding up the Americans.

 

There was also a lot of talk over how the Royal Academy has banned the work of renowned artist Jess de Wahls over what was supposed to be "transphobic views". Ms de Wahls was interviewed on the radio this morning. She claimed her "transphobic views" was making the claim that once upon a time stating that there were two genders was a fact; nowadays that statement is a (rather questionable) opinion. Is she right or wrong? I'm not going to touch that one with a barge pole, but I will make the observation that when you add this incident to the removal of statues all across the country and the re-writing of history, you really have to ask what kind of totalitarian state we are finding ourselves in. Freedom of speech clearly has been thrown out of the window now that (so it seems) anyone can claim to be  legitimately offended by anything at all.

I'm reminded of my landlady in the mid-1980s who belonged to what was seen to be a crackpot extremist fringe group. Everyone laughed at her and her mates, and whilst everyone laughed, she and her mates stood in various elections... Now they call the shots. No one laughs at environmental issues any more, do they?

People might complain about the rise of what is seen as a "woke agenda" but few (none) actually do anything to reverse the trend, do they?

 

I got to work - I did my bit. By then reality had seen the error of its ways by being at odds with the BBC's weather forecast this morning, and the rain was torrential for much of the day.

 

With my bit done I headed homewards. Having had reports of issues with the Wherigo I put out a week or so ago I went and had a little look-see, and having look-seen I came home and put up a Wherigo version 1.2. Let’s hope this solves the issue that several people have had… It is a shame that so many people have already downloaded that which is now out of date, but there it is. 

I’m now going to spend half an hour in the loo reading the most recent copy of Viz…

No comments:

Post a Comment