19 June 2021 (Saturday) - This n That

That infernal stereo started up again at the stroke of midnight. And then an hour later the football thugs staggering home screaming about “Ing-Ur-Lund” set the dogs off. Add to that several curry-induced trips to the loo; I didn’t have the best night’s sleep.

 

I made brekkie and peered at my lap-top. The thing has decided to give me a short cut to Microsoft’s local weather forecast. The prediction was “cloudy with a sixty-seven per cent chance of rain”. On other weather forecasts the prediction will be “raining with a forty per cent chance of rain”. Go figure.

The rows on Facebook weren’t that bad today. Today people seemed to be in a “selling things” sort of mood. Diet shakes were being rather aggressively forced at me today, but I did laugh at the advert being brandished. The advert mentioned “long country walks” and “results may vary”. Well, I’ve been doing long country walks for years and that’s achieved pretty much nothing in the way of weight loss. These massively overpriced shakes might work for some people; for me the only way to achieve weight loss is to be constantly hungry. But people fall for these adverts. Take a photos of a chubby young lady, then take another photo of her wearing clothes six sizes larger and everyone thinks that she’s lost weight.

And someone else was offering to clean your shoes for you… with a range of cleanings starting from twenty quid!!! Isn’t this a sign of our times in that despite so many people being in such hardships, people would still rather pay someone else to polish their shoes?

 

I did see a photo that made me remember old times though. Someone had posted a photo of Guestling Green on the “Hastings and Area, Past and Present” Facebook page. On that photo you could clearly see a pub. “The Hope” was somewhere I used to visit occasionally in the mid to late 1980s purely to see the landlord. The most unwelcoming, miserable and bitter person you ever did see. As you walked through the door he would rudely snarl “Are you eighteen?” and when you gave your age (at the time it was mid to late twenties) he would look at you in open disbelief. He would always engage the customers in conversation, and no matter what their opinion he would rudely dismiss it. I always thought that this was some odd novelty act, but people posting to the “Hastings and Area, Past and Present” Facebook page seemed to think that it was no act; the chap really was an incredibly bitter man who really wasn’t at all suited to the hospitality industry.

 

er indoors TM” gave me a lift to the garage to collect my car. It had been serviced yesterday. One or two things needed doing. I had some change out of seven hundred quid… but not much. I’ve always said that I will drive the car until it dies, but (nearly) seven hundred quid (!?) The nice man at the garage said that if it was his car he would see how it fares at the next MOT. Perhaps I might do that. Having had the car for thirteen years it has very rarely let me down. If I get rid of it and replace it I may well just be buying someone else’s trouble.

 

er indoors TM” and I got the leads onto the dogs and we took them for a little walk. I won’t say where since I was planning out a new series of Wherigo caches. I will say that the dogs got filthy in mud though, but the long grass we then went through was so wet that they came home absolutely pristine having had all the mud washed off of them. My boots got cleaned by the grass too; that saved twenty quid (!)

Once home I made a start planning my new Wheri-series. Having got it pretty much all done during the afternoon (whilst it rained) I can’t help but wonder if I am happy with the location, but with a Wherigo the actual location is pretty much a piddling detail.

 

er indoors TM” then took Pogo to Folkestone. For all that he has been with us for months (if not years) he is “Daddy’s Little Angel TM”’s dog and she wanted him back (if only for a few days holiday). I can’t really say no, but I’m not at all happy with this. We’ve gone from four dogs down to one in a very short space of time, and poor Treacle doesn’t understand it at all.

The house seems incredibly empty right now…

No comments:

Post a Comment