6 May 2021 (Thursday) - Election Day

My morning routine is so set in stone that today it was good to mix it up a little. Immediately on getting out of pit we took the dogs to the woods for a walk. The same chap who was sitting in his car there yesterday (with the engine running) in the car park was sitting there again today.

As we walked we saw what looked like animal tracks. Something rather large had scuffed up the leaf litter. Wild boar? Deer? As Pogo and Treacle ran through it we decided it was probably another dog.

 

With walk walked we came home, and I had a minor disaster. I went to trim the lawn edges and the strimmer fell in two. It still works if I hold it together, so I got the lawn edges done, then mowed the rest. It is amazing the difference mowing the lawn makes to the look of the garden.

 

I then walked up the road to the church hall to cast my vote in today’s elections. I had the choice of five candidates. There wasn’t much to choose from really, but then all the time I’m not prepared to get off my arse and do the job I can’t really complain. I looked at the ballot paper and didn’t really have much choice.

The Conservative candidate has put quite a bit of election paperwork through the letterbox an on-line recently. He talks a good fight, but much of his stated policies are *exactly* the opposite of those of the Conservative led county council and the Conservative  national government.

The Green Party candidate is very active locally, but I am very wary of the Green party. I’ve heard it said before that people who vote Green are either tree-huggers or friends and family of the Green Party candidate. And locally there is a rather large “vote Green” clique (on the fringes of which I sometimes hover) who seem to treat political allegiance in much the same way as supporting a football club.

I’ve heard absolutely nothing at all from the local Labour or Liberal Democrat candidates.

I voted for the independent candidate purely because he asked me to. The chap lives a few doors down the road. He seems keen, and I suspect that living where he does, anything he votes in which boils my piss would also boil his piss.

There was also an election for the position of police commissioner. Bearing in mind that policing should be above party politics and also bearing in mind that not one of the candidates had made any effort to convey anything to me about their views I wrote “what a waste of time and effort” across the ballot paper. Spoiling a ballot paper was probably a far more considered political statement than casting a vote for one of three randomly selected nobodies.

I came home to find the Green party had popped their election promises through the door.

 

Over a much later brekkie that usual I peered into the Internet. It was much as it ever was, but I did have one email which was a minor result. The final payment from the vet insurance has been paid into my account. This one went in far faster than the first.

I then solved a few more geo-puzzles before getting ready for work, and realistically that was it for today. A rather busy late shift, a very late finish and a pizza dinner watching old episodes of “Who Wants to be a Millionaire”, and off to bed…

No comments:

Post a Comment