18 May 2021 (Tuesday) - Early Shift

Another restless night. er indoors TM” and the dogs seemed to finally nod off just as I needed to get up. So I got up and put some toast in to cook and chivvied Sid round the garden whilst the toaster did its thing. Sid didn't hurry himself, and eventually I sat down to a breakfast of cold toast.

As I scoffed my cold toast I watched an episode of "Motherland"; an enjoyable show in which two mothers and a father suffer the indignities of being second-rate parents whilst standing round the school gates waiting for the children to finish school. It has been some time since I last stood at school gates waiting for children (most recently five years ago waiting for Lacey I think), but I remember what it was like; obvious "in-crowds" of mummies sneering at others who  weren't in their cliques.

 

With brekkie scoffed I had a very quick look at the Internet. It was much the same as ever.

Taking care to let sleeping dogs (and wife) lie, I got ready for work and set off on a very bright morning. As I drove the pundits on the radio were talking about how pubs had re-opened yesterday, but despite the build-up and hype, the grand re-opening hadn't been the massive success that the hospitality industry had been hoping for. With some people still terrified by the hype of coronageddon and others simply unable (or unwilling) to pay the prices that pubs charge, there was speculation about whether many pubs would survive.

There was also an interview with Russia's top spy who denied Russian involvement in the latest hacking scandal. Well, he would, wouldn't he?

And Nigel Farage has fallen flat on his face on his lecture tour of America.

 

I got to work for the early shift and had something of a good day, managing to score full marks on my in-house training for our new computer system. However the day was slightly marred by the weather. Having been at home for three days of rain I was rather miffed to have spent much of the day looking out of the window at glorious sunshine, only to leave work just as the rain was starting.

 

As I drove home down the motorway I drove out of the rain. It didn’t look like it had rained at home, so I popped the leads on to Pogo and Treacle, grabbed a couple of tennis balls and a ball-chucker and we went up to the co-op field. I had this idea that if we were quick we might beat the rain.

We didn’t.

We got to the co-op field just as the drizzle started. But as we were there we walked round it once. As we walked I chucked one tennis ball for Pogo to fetch whilst Treacle carried the other one around. Perhaps half the time I threw the ball both dogs would chase it and Treacle would get there first and guard it. With two balls she was determined that Pogo wouldn’t have any. Poor Pogo – he so loves fetching the ball, and he looked so upset every time Treacle stopped his game.

After one circuit of the field Treacle had ripped one ball in half and folded the other in two (quite literally) and we were all soaked, so we came home.

 

We got home to find that the postie had been. The geocaches for my new Wheri-series, my new strimmer, and the latest edition of “Viz”.

er indoors TM” boiled up a very good bit of dinner. As we scoffed it we watched Adrian Edmonson in a show in which he travels round Britain. In this evening’s episode he was in Gloucestershire talking with eel farmers and perry brewers and shin kickers and pig farmers. This show is now ten years old – how many other gems have we missed?

No comments:

Post a Comment