2 May 2021 (Sunday) - A Hailstorm on Romney Marsh

I woke to the sound of Sid barking (for absolutely no reason at all), came down and let him out. He went up  the garden, had a piddle, came back in and had another piddle… and then was utterly indignant not to be allowed anywhere near a carpet.

I watched the last episode of “Superstore” as I scoffed toast (I need to find something else to keep me occupied in the mornings now) then peered into the internet. Getting on for two hundred people had reacted favourably to the photo of Fudge’s monument that I posted on-line yesterday. Mind you I say “monument” – it sounds a bit pretentious, doesn’t it? I need another word for grave that sounds happy and not depressing.


In contrast to the recent trend of “dull” there was quite a bit of odd stuff on the Internet this morning. There was an hour long video posted from a psychic medium on the Facebook “Upstairs Downstairs” group and some rather dubious posts on the Facebook “Tomorrow People” group. The stuff on the “Tomorrow People” group often amazes me. Some bloke is constantly posting photos of the stars of a children’s TV show from forty years ago in various stages of undress, other people then make utterly inappropriate comments, and then the chap who originally posted the photos starts acting surprised because the Facebook Feds have threatened to close down his account yet again.

The nice people at LinkedIn wondered if I might like to chum up with someone claiming to be a “Commercial Archaeologist/ Historian and Musician”. I’m tempted to do so; if only to find out what a “Commercial Archaeologist/ Historian and Musician” actually does. I wouldn’t have thought that composing ballads about the dead Roman that you’ve just dug up would have had many commercial applications, but what do I know?


We got ourselves organised and set off for the church at Old Romney where we met up with Karl, Tracey and Charlotte and set off on a little walk across the Romney Marsh. We met up there once before; on 11 January 2020 when I wrote of one of the locals “As we got ourselves ready for the off we were very conscious of being watched by one of the locals. He was fascinated with us and was openly watching our every move. I had no idea that the sight of me putting on a pair of wellies could be so captivating”. That same fellow was again watching us as we arrived and got ready. His life must *really* be dull.

We set off on what promised to be a good walk. When we walked it last time (on 11 January 2020) it was rather cold, but today was rather warm as we started off. Being on the Romney Marsh the terrain was flat, and we made good time. As we walked we found a load of large ceramic pipes on which we sat and had dinner. As we scoffed so the skies darkened, the temperature dropped and the hail started. Fortunately the hail didn’t last long. Unfortunately it gave way to torrential rain.

But we didn’t get *that* wet really. I didn’t have to wring out my pants when we got home, and that is always a result. In retrospect I did get wetter on the last time I walked round the Romney Marsh, but that was because on that occasion there was a geocache under a bridge over a river and in my searching I fell in.


As always our route was laid out for us by a series of geocaches, and geocache-wise it was a good series. Some were trickier to find than others, but none really gave us that much trouble, which is always for the best when hunting the things out. Mind you we did break the rules a little. The official rules of geocaching say we have to sign the scrap of paper inside to show we were there. We signed the paper logs until the rain got heavy at which point we took photos to prove we’d been there (so as not to get the paper wet). After five photo logs the phone whinged that water had been detected in the works, so we just logged “Found It” and hoped for the best. Some cache owners are flexible on the point; some aren’t. There are those who understand that what we did was the sensible thing to do. There are others who really would want us to open up the geocaches in the torrential rain, sign the paper, and as well as logging “Found It” have us log “Needs Maintenance” as the thing would be wringing wet.


We came home to find there had been no rain in Ashford, and the mats we’d left out on the washing lines were nearly dry. Ho hum…

I took a few minutes to log the caches we’d found on geocaching dot com, and realised that I’d earned a couple of e-souvenirs on today’s walk. You can see them (and photos from today’s walk) by clicking here.


Daddy’s Little Angel TM” sorted our dinner, and I then spent much of the evening fast asleep in front of the telly…

No comments:

Post a comment