8 May 2021 (Saturday) - Lazy Day

I was fast asleep when I got a text reminding me to do a COVID test… I’ve asked the people who organise these reminders not to send them quite so early in the day; if it happens again I shall block their number. These early morning wake-up calls are a nuisance.

The test was negative as I thought it would be.

 

Sid wasn’t overly keen to go out this morning, and nor was I. The predicted rain had arrived and it was rather damp outside. I set the washing machine loose on my shirts and scoffed toast whilst I watched the Christmas episode of “Hardy Boys” which featured Elvis the turkey who was described as “a bit raw” as he strutted round the kitchen.

 

As I waited for the washing machine to finish I peered into the internet and saw that the result of Thursday’s election for the county council is in… I was rather amazed to see that the Green party had won locally, but realistically the chap will spend much of his time pissing in the wind (stop me if I’m getting too technical); with the Conservatives having over seventy-five percent of the seats in the council they effectively have a free rein to do as they like.

The chap who I voted for (him who lives down the road) came in fourth out of five. I never thought he would win; realistically I considered him to be the least worst option. Amazingly the Liberal Democrats who won the local election last time came in last with only three point three per cent of the vote (my bloke got three point six of the vote, so suck on that Sir Ed Davey!!).

Mind you with only a thirty-one per cent turn out you have to question the validity of the election. Is any form of democratic government truly representative when sixty-nine per cent of the electorate can’t be arsed to vote?

 

I then spent an hour ironing (dull!) then geo-puzzled until I could geo-puzzle no more at which point we gave the dogs their flea treatments. It took some doing… The moment er indoors TM” went to the cupboard to get the stuff so both Pogo and Treacle ran away and hid. Fudge never minded the flea treatments, but both Treacle has always hated it, and Pogo now copies his sister.

 

Seeing the rain had stopped I got a few garden jobs done. I got the gravel boards onto not-so-nice-next-door’s rotting fence. It will give the thing a little more life before it finally collapses. I’ve tried talking to her about the fence recently. Whilst she now speaks (which is a major step forward since the silences of the last ten or more years) she is obsessed that the fence is perhaps four inches onto her side of the boundary line. I don’t mind bodging it as best I can, but the whole thing needs replacing and she’s not interested in that.

 

There were one or two more garden jobs that needed doing, but what with the morning’s rain I didn’t want to end up stirring mud, so I slobbed in front of the telly. Episodes of “Four in a Bed”, “Intergalactic” and some new thing featuring Johnny Vegas setting up a glamping camp site featuring a load of converted buses.

 

Unlike many of my recent weekend days, I had something of a lazy day today.

At times it was rather boring…

No comments:

Post a Comment