29 May 2021 (Saturday) - Late Shift

I suppose that having done a night shift it isn’t surprising that I slept till nine o’clock this morning. I got up and saw that Sid hadn’t done anything so I chivvied him outside where he did. He did lots. It was at this point that er indoors TM” appeared from her pit and we ganged up on Sid. His claws needed clipping; they were really long and curling over. He has had serious difficulty walking and so they needed doing. But… He hates having his paws touched and clipping claws is incredibly stressful. Wee-ing and poop-ing ourselves has been a feature of previous clippings. So with him empty I bundled him up in a towel and we extracted each paw from the towel in turn to clip it. Whilst this avoided any “potty accidents” it was incredibly traumatic. If you heard any horrific screaming early this morning, that was Sid.

I’ve never seen him move so fast as when we released him from the towel.

 

I made toast and scoffed it whilst peering into the Internet. It was much the same as ever. Trivia abounded, as did people desperate to take offence at the trivia.

I also had a message about next month’s Munzee clan war. I think I might give Munzee clan war a miss next month. The requirements are so hard that it turns what is supposed to be a fun game into a (rather expensive) chore. And it is rather upsetting that someone has set up a memorial Munzee for Fudge. It is six weeks since he went; I’ve got rather upset several times every day about that silly dog and being reminded every time I turn on what is supposed to be a fun game isn’t helping.

 

I took Sid for a little pootle. We did our usual circuit up to Dan-Dan's house and back again (with me watching him like a hawk). Was it my imagination, or was he *really* walking better with his claws clipped? He only stumbled once where he usually has several little falls, and there's no denying that the short walk that normally takes us twenty minutes only took fifteen today.

That gave me five minutes to stand in the garden and stare into space whilst pondering on my next garden project. I have an idea for a new water feature...

 

Pausing only briefly to top up the oil in the car I was soon on my way. I drove straight up the motorway (unlike last Saturday!), and was soon at McDonalds... where I took one look at the immense queues (both for walk-in and drive-through), turned around and drove to the Subway near work. In the past Subway have done rather good toasted rolls. Today they didn't toast anything; I was just given something cold and unappetising. I asked why they didn't toast them any more. Everyone behind the counter mumbled and muttered and looked at each other; not one said anything I could understand.

I dropped their (frankly dreadful) offering in the bin and got a sandwich elsewhere instead. Looking at their reviews on Google it would seem that their output can be variable.

 

Work was work. I saw that my shifts for July through to September have been published, and I updated my diary accordingly. I might need to swap one or two of them, but where some people might grumble, I quite like the variety. Early, late, night... it could be a whole lot worse. And only a few short years ago I worked somewhere where it was a whole lot worse.

It was a shame I was on the late shift today though; I missed the family bingo night. I also missed the Kent garden show today. I had intended to pop in on the way to work, but had forgotten every word about it. Oh well... the last time I went to it I just spent a small fortune on stuff I didn't really need.

 

I’ve programmed “Hannah” for tomorrow… time for bed.

Today has been rather dull.

No comments:

Post a Comment