17 May 2021 (Monday) - Rostered Day Off

I slept well… up to the point where er indoors TM” had a full-blown fight with her pillow. I lay quietly not daring to make a sound in case she bashed me up too.

 

We skipped brekkie and took the dogs out early today. Bearing in mind the rain of the weekend, Orlestone Woods would have been a swamp, so we drove up to Kings Wood. Much (but not all) of the paths up there are solid enough for the forestry workers to drive their land rovers around so we thought we’d all get a lot less grubby there.

It was a plan which worked.

We had a good walk around. As we went we met a few other dogs, all on leads. I wondered why until they all started snarling and growling at us. I wasn’t impressed, but I suppose Pogo probably sounds rather intimidating to those who don’t know him. As we walked we replaced one of the geocaches I’d hidden up there. It had been broken for months, but no one had pressed the right button on geocaching dot com which would have told me about the problem. But it’s all fixed now.

 

We came home via er indoors TM”’s work (she had to collect something or other) and over a late brekkie of Belgian bun I peered into the Internet. The geo-fed have given the thumbs-up for my planned series of Wherigos. I won’t say where it is as some people really have followed my postings here and on Facebook in order to get to the caches before they are published in order to be first one to find them (You really couldn’t make it up!).

Yesterday I posted on the Facebook group of a series of books that I follow asking if I was the only person who actually reads the books (as opposed to listening to them). Overnight that posting had generated quite a lot of hostility; people thought I was being judgemental. Was I? Possibly, but not intentionally.

 

I then went into the garden for a bit. Having been feeding the lawn recently it has grown far more than ever before. My plan was to strim the edges then mow. And as I worked I would have the water features doing their thing (as I like water features). On the Bank Holiday two weeks ago I’d created a new water feature out of the wreckage of an old one. This morning it wasn’t working. I had a look – it was empty. I’d filled it only the other day, and it had rained hard all weekend. It has clearly got a leak and is fit for the bin.

I started strimming, and the strimmer fell apart. Quite literally. It fell into three pieces. That too is fit for the bin. I toyed with the idea of leaving it in the front garden and hoping someone will take it. It worked for the old toaster and kettle, but who is going to be dumb enough to take the fragments of a garden strimmer? Oh well… I only paid twelve quid for it, and it has lasted two years so I shouldn’t complain.

I got the lawn mowed, I pulled weeds out of the shingle, I fed the fish. It was as I was feeding the fish that I felt the first spot of rain. By the time I’d walked to the back door the rain was heavy and I had heard the first rumble of thunder.

 

I made a cuppa, and had a look on Amazon. Within minutes I had ordered a replacement strimmer which will (hopefully) arrive tomorrow. Ordering stuff on Amazon is so easy; if only I could send the rubbish away so easily. I tried to book a slot at the tip and there are none available at all. They are booked up until the end of next month, and aren’t taking bookings after that yet. I am tempted to drive up to the tip and walk in with a load of rubbish and see what the staff do. You can understand why fly-tipping is on the rise.

 

I spent a little while building Lego, and a little while longer repairing it after I dropped it. I then got the ironing board out, and as the rain became torrential I watched a few episodes of “Four in a Bed” as I ironed. I do love “Four in a Bed”. People with the crappiest bed & breakfasts try to big themselves up and fool no one but themselves. Take the proud Yorkshireman in today’s episodes. If he was a tenth as good as he thought he was he would have been ten times better than he actually was.

With telly finished and ironing done I saw the rain had stopped. The weather forecast gave me an hour until the hailstorm was due to hit, so I walked Sid round the block. As we walked we met Dan-Dan and Bella. Little Bella was rather taken with Sid; she had never met such an old dog before, or one with so few teeth.

 

er indoors TM” boiled up a very good bit of dinner which we scoffed whilst watching last night’s episode of “SAS: Who Dares Wins” (which is always good viewing).

Bearing in mind that today was the third day of slobbing about not really doing much, today seems to have been something of a better day. 

I’m hoping for a better night’s sleep tonight – I’ve got an early start tomorrow…

No comments:

Post a Comment