12 May 2021 (Wednesday) - After The Night Shift

Last night’s night shift wasn’t one of the better ones; I had to do work and everything! It was with something of a sense of relief when the morning shift arrived and I could go home.

 

As I drove home my piss boiled as I listened to the news. There is supposedly now quite a bit of evidence that the ongoing global pandemic could have been avoided if people across the world had acted decisively when the COVID-19 outbreak was first announced. Could it? Possibly. Were world leaders reckless in not acting decisively? Not really. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, isn’t it?. At the time a lot of people (me included) saw COVID-19 as just another thing for the media to blow out of all proportion. I can remember when humanity was all going to die because of HIV. And then mad cow disease was going to wipe us out. And then zika virus, bird-flu, swine-flu, aardvark-flu (and every-other-animal-flu). If the sensationalist media weren’t so quick to cry wolf, people might listen to them when (just occasionally) they have something to cry wolf about.

 

I got home, had a shower and went to bed where I slept for two hours until a text message from the dentist woke me. They were offering me a wonderful deal – would I like to spend several thousand pounds on cosmetic dentistry? I resisted the urge to tell them to get knotted, and made some toast.

I peered into the Internet to see that a cousin had  invited me to follow the ravings of some crackpot nutritionist. I signed up (because not doing so would be rude) and amazed myself at the frankly laughable conclusions that some people reach when they utterly misunderstand science.

 

I went into the garden, cleared the dog dung, then cleared the dung that the dogs did as I cleared the first load, then got the lawn mower out. Pausing only briefly to clear the dog dung I’d missed on the first two goes I mowed the lawn, then ran round with the lawn food I bought last night on the way to work. The lawn is looking perhaps the best it has ever looked and I’m thinking that the lawn food I’ve been using has had something to do with it. I got some stuff last night that says it sorts the holes made by dog tiddle, so here’s hoping.

I then shifted the shingle about to cover the bare patches (the dogs scrat it about), then took a few photos of the garden whilst I was out there. Having spent close on six hundred quid on the garden since March I thought I might make a record of how it looks.

 

Having mowed the lawn I got out the hair trimmers and mowed my hair, then settled in front of the telly spending the afternoon watching episodes of “Four In A Bed” as I so often do. Since I was watching it as broadcast I spent the advert time looking at geo-puzzles.

Four In A Bed” is always amusing. The bed & breakfast owners all have such high expectations of others whilst failing on the most basic issues themselves. You have to laugh when they flatly deny dust on furniture and hairs in the beds when these have been video-ed and shown on telly. One rather opinionated chap in one of today’s episodes said “I hope the others will learn a lot from me” and then went on to come second from last.

 

With telly watched I took the dogs out. First of all I walked Sid up to Dan-Dan’s and back again. It’s a short walk which he seems to like. He sniffs at the sort of things that dogs sniff at, and tiddles in their general direction (directly tiddling on things is beyond him).

I then took Treacle and Pogo to the co-op field for a game of “fetch”. “Fetch” is a fairly new thing in our world. Fudge never got the hang of it; with him I would throw the ball, he would run off in a random direction barking, and I would fetch the ball. Treacle too has never warmed to the game. She plays her own version in which she chases after the ball, gets it, and then guards it jealously; walking round carrying it and not giving it up. Pogo however has mastered the game and quite enjoys it, but we have to take two balls; one for him to fetch and one for Treacle to guard. There was a dodgy moment when Treacle tried to have both balls, but that soon passed.

Whilst we were out my idiot magnet was clearly running at full power. We saw some woman making a phone call wearing her COVID mask as she walked up the road but was taking it off whenever she spoke. Mask on to listen, mask off to speak. Perhaps the virus only bites when you are silent?

As we walked up the alley to the path so some chap was coming out with two dogs. They started snarling, so I (with the promise of a dog treat) got my two dogs to sit nicely; my idea was that the snarling hounds would pass, then my two would get a treat. However this idiot announced his dogs would like a treat too, and brought them up for what nearly became a fight.

And as we walked home we were at the roadside doing “sit” waiting for the traffic to pass. Some idiot woman drove up and parked directly in front of us, got out of her car, and then pretended to be surprised when she saw us. I smiled sweetly, and might just shove a dog turd up her exhaust pipe the next time I see her car… 

I really should have an early night. I bet I don’t though…

No comments:

Post a Comment