28 May 2021 (Friday) - Uploading Photos Again


 Yesterday the software wouldn't let me post up a piccie to the blog entry. Yesterday evening I tried to send a piccie to my work blog and that wouldn't work either. I tried on one of the work PCs when I got to work last night, but it still wouldn't have it. Eventually (at four o'clock in  the morning) I managed to get a picture into the template without an "an unexpected error has occurred" message.  Have the nice people at Google been fiddling again? I suppose they can if they want to - it is their toy after all, and I should be grateful for getting something for nothing.
But I spent much of a rather busy night shift fretting about that. Every day since September 2006 I've posted up a photo or a piccie which in some way was relevant to whatever I felt was rant-worthy that day. Yesterday I had a photo of my new garden gecko and a stock photo of some AV back leads. I suppose I can use clever html scripts to include a piccie if I need to, but I would rather do it the way I always had. 


With work done I came home. As I drove the pundits on the radio were talking about yet another proposed shake-up for the NHS. However in a seriously radical change of direction, this one made some sense. The suggestion was that some hospitals be designated “emergency centres” and some not. Those that are “emergency centres” would deal with all the emergencies that occur, and those that are not “emergency centres” would deal with the ongoing planned workload of the NHS. These hospitals could get on with it without having to be cancelling out-patient appointments and planned surgery (on a daily basis) to deal with emergencies. Backlogs could be cleared, waiting times would reduce… and having worked in both environments can I be the first to apply for a job in a non-emergency hospital. If only the Minister for Health can find enough people prepared to work in a place in which the concerted stress has deliberately been condensed, he could be on to something.

There was also an interview with Brian Nash (who was once famous in “Frankie Goes To Hollywood”). The chap is almost a year older than me, and it was interesting listening to his story. Being a pop star might have brough fame, but it didn’t seem to have brought that much fortune. The chap was saying how when his band took off he didn’t jack in the day job, he took a planned sabbatical. And when the band had run its course he went back to it, and is still working as an electrician. I was reminded of an interview (many years ago) with some pop mogul or other who was something to do with the Cheeky Girls. When challenged about why they were on the television seemingly constantly the chap explained how fame is a transient thing. This chap claimed that the average pop star remains famous for eighteen months at most, and if they want to remain in the music industry they have those eighteen months to make a lifetime’s wages. Or they need to jack it all in and find some other way of paying the bills.  Is that true? It sounds realistic.

 

I got home and went to bed where I slept as best I could with Pogo on top of me. Over a brekkie eaten when most people would have lunch I peered at the Internet. There were adverts for “Snag The Tag” on Facebook. Quite a few of them. Ironically on the geocaching pages. Have you heard of “Snag The Tag? It is not unlike geocaching, but the prizes you seek in this game are worth having.

When geocaching effectively stopped for the pandemic, a lot of hunters of Tupperware went over to the dark side of Munzee. And now many are playing “Snag The Tag”. Will geocaching survive if and when it comes back properly? I expect so. But I suspect it will sorely miss the most active cachers who have found something else to do in the meantime.

 

We took the dogs to the co-op field for a little walk, then I spent the afternoon ironing. As I ironed I watched a DVD (because I could). “Last Orders is a good film with an all-star cast which follows the memories of a group of friends taking a dead friend’s ashes from South London to scatter them at Margate.

I always like seeing films set somewhere that I’ve been because I feel I can relate to it better. But… Why have the main characters getting incredibly breathless walking up a hill to the military monument in Chatham when you can drive right up to it? And when driving eastwards along the A2, how did they turn off onto the A251 using the exit on the westbound side? 

With telly watched I then set about solving geo-puzzles. I’ve now solved all the Spongebob geo-puzzles except the jigsaws they will take some doing… I’ve got one with two hundred and sixteen pieces in progress at the moment. I wonder how long that will take…

No comments:

Post a Comment