19 May 2021 (Wednesday) - Another Early Shift

For once we all slept peacefully last night. I did hear new-next-door's alarm go off at four o'clock, but better that sound than the sound of noisy sex that his predecessors used to make.

I was awake before Sid this morning, and bearing in mind yesterday's cold toast, despite the rain Sid went out when I told him to rather than when he felt like it.

 

I scoffed warm toast as I watched this morning's episode of "Motherland" in which one of the protagonists openly and blatantly exploited the good nature of those around her. The show's writers so accurately portrayed those who sit back and let others do everything for them; we've all met them. It's a very good program.

 

As I drove to work the pundits were talking about how the Public Accounts Committee has expressed doubts about the practicality of the government's scheme to phase out petrol-driven cars within the next nine years.

They have concluded that electric cars are far too expensive, and that there are nowhere near enough charging points, nor will there be in time. It was mentioned that the government plans for there to be at least three charging points at every motorway service station. Three ! When you think how long it takes to charge a car (compared to re-fuel), and then look at how many cars are in the petrol stations at any given moment, it doesn't take a genius to realise  that the Public Accounts Committee have got a point. However does it really take a genius to realise just how much money is wasted by having the Public Accounts Committee poncing about at tax payer's expense to point out the bloody obvious?

There was also talk about how the nurse who nursed the Prime Minister through COVID has resigned over the frankly piss-poor pay increase which the government is giving the NHS. 

There was also talk about how the "duty of candour" isn't working. According to the latest political theory governing the NHS, the NHS has to be open and transparent about mistakes. Which is a good idea. But there is a world of difference between "open and transparent" and "having a cover-up" and "fuelling a witch-hunt". Concern was expressed that some failings in the NHS aren't being shouted from the rooftops quite as loudly as they might be.

Seriously? Is anyone surprised about that?

 

I stopped off at the petrol station on my way to work. Two minutes there is far quicker than twenty minutes charging my hypothetical electric car would be, and gives me three times the hypothetical range.

As I tried to pay I was very conscious that I was interrupting the gossip of the harridans behind  the tills. They were *not* happy about having to deal with the paying customers.

 

Work was work; at tea break I had a message. A few days ago I whinged about the unavailability of any time slots at the local tip. Last night I posted on Facebook asking if anyone had booked a slot and (if so) could they shift some of my rubbish? This morning I was told that things at the tip had changed, and rather than being fully booked until the end of June, they now have appointments available next week.  Result!!

Mind you I also saw that most other tips in the country are still operating a "turn up and chuck out" policy. I wish our tip was.

 

I did my bit; I came home. It was a glorious evening and I was fully intending to take the dogs to the woods when I realised I was struggling to park the car. With much of the parking spaces in Bond Road having been coned off (I wonder why) parking was going to be at a premium this evening. I decided that having parked the car I would be daft to move it again. And er indoors TM” had already taken Pogo and Treacle to Frog’s Island at lunch time. So instead I walked Sid round the block and then disassembled the water feature which had sprung a leak. I spent  few minutes sitting with the dogs by the pond feeding the fish (it isn’t the same without Fudge on guard- he loved that pond) and vaguely wondered just how I might disguise the pond’s filter. It fulfils a very vital role, but it does look awful.  I phoned my Dad and had a little chat with him whilst I was at it.

If I had taken the dogs to the woods this evening, at about the time when we would have been furthest from the car so the heavens opened. I was right not to have gone to the woods this evening.

 

er indoors TM” is having a scout group committee meeting via Zoom in a minute, and then we’re having a late dinner. There is talk of KFC…

Here’s hoping.

No comments:

Post a Comment