9 March 2024 (Saturday) - Geo Meet

For some really strange geocachical reason I needed an empty sweetie tub this morning. I’d seen one in the shed on Thursday… it wasn’t there this morning. I wonder where that went.
I made toast and had a little look at the Internet. It was still there. I sent out some birthday wishes, and read on Facebook that the Now Show on Radio Four is coming to an end. Presented by Steve Punt and Hugh Dennis it used to be funny many years ago, but like so much on telly and radio it has been flogged to death. I once saw them live many years ago at the Leas Cliff Hall when they were hilarious. I saw them again at the Gulbenkian when I could only describe them as smug and self-satisfied. Sadly, like me, they lost the spark over the years.
There wasn’t a lot else going on on-line. So I zoomed round the garden and harvested a bumper crop of dog turds… then zoomed round again and got even more. You’d be surprised at how elusive a dog turd can be.
 
We got ourselves organised and set off to Dog Club. Dog Club was much the same as ever… loads of people standing in a field making polite conversation whist the dogs did dog things. It sounds dull, but it is one of the highlights of the week. The field is slowly drying out, but there’s still enough mud to get the dogs grubby, especially when Kai and Roo lie down in it. There is something strangely satisfying when someone else’s dog does something daft.
As we drove home I got Steve’s Mystery Year competition right – the Queen’s “horrible anus” – 1992. Much as I loved and admired the late Queen, she did rather score an own goal with the annus horribilis” comment. At the time the royals weren’t overly popular, no one speaks Latin, and coming out with a comment like that was really giving ammunition to her detractors.
 
Once home “er indoors TM dealt with the dogs and I popped up the road for pastries. As I crossed the road some woman in a car beeped at me and waved frantically. I wonder who she was? Mookie in the shop said she drives past regularly shouting abuse at passers-by.
I got me a croissant for myself and a pain au chocolat for “er indoors TM, sent out a Munzee birthday card, and as I  got ready for the next adventure so “Found It” logs were arriving in my in-box from people out doing the geocaches I’d set for today’s geo-event.
 
“er indoors TM drove us all round to Singleton Barn where I was hosting this month’s meet-up of Hunters of Tupperware. We had a rather good meet. Attendance was down on previous meets, but it was good to catch up with old friends, and meet some new ones. Sadly the ale on the pub’s pumps was a tad past its best, but having made the wise decision of asking for a taster first I went for the bottled stuff. And we had some cheesy chips too. “Webeing both me and the dogs.
The geo-meet was rather good; talking about things geocachical. I got a pointer about a geo-puzzle which had had me thinking for some time. I mentioned this puzzle a week ago when I said “I’ve got to find two numbers. The first “is a funny one really and only consists of three characters”. I know that one”. “Well, it now turns out that I had that wrong.
 
Having been the first ones to the meet, after four bottles of ale we were the past ones to leave. We came home where I had a little snooze, and whilst I was sparko “er indoors TM slipped out and picked me up a pressie. Someone locally was selling Lego. Apparently his daughter had grown out of it. I hadn’t.
 
“er indoors TM went off to her mate’s party. I sat with sleeping dogs and watched a film on Netflix. “Bull” was a rather good film right up until the last five minutes when it suddenly went all surreal. But it was better than a load of stuff I’ve watched recently.
Today was rather good.

No comments:

Post a Comment